Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Noel Gerald Brudenell Kirwan Indian Army

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear All,

A reward (aka Goodie) goes to the Great War Forum aficionado who can find a wartime photo of erstwhile 113th Infantry, IA, Adjutant (Mesopotamia):

Capt Noel Gerald Brudenell Kirwan.

A Coffee Planter in Mysore, he had been a keen Volunteer, pre-Great War. Interestingly, he (born 25 Dec 1880) is to found on "The Plantagenet Roll of the Blood Royal" (descendants of Edward III, King of England), which shows that his maternal grandfather was Lieut.-Col. R. G. Chambers, 5th Bengal Cavalry.

N. G. B. Kirwan was frustratingly absent in a post-Great War 113th Infantry grozp, at Allahabad. All was not lost, however,  as Kirwan was in a 1939 PlantersP1150731_small.jpg.71187eb61843adf11f865b3550f1be6c.jpg5ae88d06a8ebd_LieutN.G.B.KirwanIARO113thInfantryMIC.jpg.43b8d1cd5d93d1944486aa138878385d.jpg5ae88d5aa1f13_NoelKirwan1939.jpg.b4bbd7c51cd84c510e654ca9e0998145.jpg5ae88d8a0a57e_113thInfantryAllahabadMarch1918.thumb.jpg.1d0d9e96584aa4a4e349aaeb090a8ba6.jpg group: indeed, his OBE was awarded for his efforts as Vice-Chairman, Coffee Board, Bangalore, in 1943...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

Kim

Found a reference to his marriage in the Ceylon Observer but alas no photograph of him.

Aled

• 8 months later...

Dear Aled,

Super find!

Could you beam a scan of the Ceylon Observer onto the GWF, please?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

There is a marriage transcript on the FIBIS database from the Times of India  re a marriage  14 September 1914

https://search.fibis.org/frontis/bin/aps_detail.php?id=1203300

Grooms Surname  Kirwan    

First names  Noel G B    

Bride's surname  Hine    

First names  Margery Olive Stanley    

Place  Srinagar    

Year  1914    

month  Sep    

day  14    

Register Entry  Sept 14th at Srinagar Noel G B Kirwan of Arabidacooe Estate Chikmagalur Mysore son of the late Captain G Kirwin KOSBs to Margery Olive Stanley youngest daughter of W C Hine Esq of Parkstone Dorset    

Year  1914    

Date  03-Oct 

The British Library has the Ceylon Observer on microfilm UIN: BLL01013918741, but I would be interested to know if there is any online source.

There is a death index record on findmypast

First name(s) NOEL G B

Last name KIRWAN

GenderMale

Birth day-

Birth month-

Birth year1881

Age82

Death quarter3

Death year1963

DistrictUckfield

CountySussex

Volume5H

Page483

CountryEngland

Record setEngland & Wales Deaths 1837-2007

Also a UK birth reference, but you have details of his birth

Cheers

Maureen  

Edited by Maureene

Notice of wedding also to be found in

Western Gazette 23 October 1914

unfortunately no photo!

George

Edited by George Rayner

Dear Maureen and George,

Many thanks.

I will get my BL researcher to have all that printed out, for my Noel Kirwan file.

His son attended Uppingham, and I have a good House photo including him...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

In the Bedfordshire Times 4th June 1943 under Honours for Old Bedfordians it has:

N.G.B. Kirwan, Vice-Chairman Indian Coffee Market Expansion Board, Bangalore (1894-1898), MBE

Might give some clues for a photograph, either Bedford School, The Coffee Market Board or his MBE.

Dear Susan,

Thanks for your interest and kindly directing me to the Bedfordshire Times. 

Yes, I had tried Bedford School, many years ago: they were extremely helpful with information, but no photograph. 

The Coffee Market Expansion Board was a wartime venture, providing various amenities. There may have been an Investiture photo in Bangalore. He 1661873001_ChanceryCardforOBEtoKirwan1943.jpg.efbb7413769b78435f6ae22f1e7e5104.jpgactually got an OBE...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

21 hours ago, Maureene said:

The British Library has the Ceylon Observer on microfilm UIN: BLL01013918741, but I would be interested to know if there is any online source.

I can answer my own question.

There is a subscription website for online newspapers called  "South Asian Newspapers, 1864-1922"  (part of Readex World Newspaper Archive) which includes the Ceylon Observer  1864-1922 

One of the places where this database may be accessed is the British Library in London

Cheers

Maureen

Dear Maureen,

Many thanks. I will tell my BL researcher.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• spof changed the title to Capt Noel Gerald Brudenell Kirwan Indian Army