Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Looking for - Ida Post - Paper House - White Farm

Wendy Macpherson

Hi all

I have three photos that I would like to find the locations, they have descriptions as follows:

Ida Post

Paper House

White Farm

I believe that perhaps the photos are in the Ploegsteert sector or 28 SW trench map.

The Australians were in this area and the photos from the Australian War Museum (no copyright).

I will start looking on some trench maps I have but thought someone may be familiar with the names and know of their location.

Regards Wendy 

Ida Post towards Paper House, no mans land on the River Lys 

5ae84a6825324_IdaPosttowardsPaperHouseinnomanslandonthebankoftheRiverLys.jpg.b7c802cf6c92a9fcddd35ccbb613a327.jpg

River Lys, looking towards White Farm and across the River from Paper House. Left image.

5ae84a68e625e_riverLyslookingtowardsWhiteFarmandacrosstheRiverfromPaperHouse.Rightimage.jpg.01d5bf0389b16acc24ef811f3c09132a.jpg

River Lys, looking towards White Farm and across the River from Paper House. Right image. 

5ae84a69abafc_RiverLyslookingtowardsWhiteFarmandacrosstheRiverfromPaperHouse..jpg.a1a3097d22357b67926b8739346028b5.jpg

Ida post is at 28SW4 U29c05.30, White Farm at 36NW2 5a2.6,

will report back on paper house

Thank you so much Edward.

That was very fast of you.

I have just had my nose in the trench map and I see your coordinates clearly. 

Paper House noted on this map.

Thanks again, much appreciated. Wendy  

5ae8561064768_Paperhouse28SW4_U29.JPG.8dd627120d6846375a2da248cb067d29.JPG

Wendy, I've just plugged the trench map references into the Great War British Trench map converter and come up with the same location. I've not been having a lot of luck with the converter lately (operator error, nothing wrong with the software) but I'm cheered by the fact that I've come to the same spot that you have. I have been across the area a couple of times looking for my New Zealand boys but I fear I was lost on each occasion so I haven't got any photos.....:(

Pete.

6 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Wendy, I've just plugged the trench map references into the Great War British Trench map converter and come up with the same location. I've not been having a lot of luck with the converter lately (operator error, nothing wrong with the software) but I'm cheered by the fact that I've come to the same spot that you have. I have been across the area a couple of times looking for my New Zealand boys but I fear I was lost on each occasion so I haven't got any photos.....:(

Pete.

I am looking for historic images closer to Pont Rouge and Deep Moat Farm (directly opposite Deulemont).

My GU was KIA there. I found these three old photos at the war museum while searching images for the River Lys in the Ploegsteert Sector.

Was hoping to see more closely the area Leonard was KIA. Will continue to search the war museum. 

You are looking for NZEF men?

9 hours ago, Wendy Macpherson said:

You are looking for NZEF men?

Hi Wendy,

Yes, I have nine members of an Auckland Association football team who were killed and who I research. I also have an interest in the Christmas truce of 1914 and particularly the football matches of legend. One of the two for which you can make a case for using evidence rather than supposition took place not far from the area in the photos. I'd like to walk the whole area soon as it's very rich in WW1 history, but is largely ignored. There are a group of us on the forum who see ourselves as friends of the Forgotten Front as it is often described.

Pete.

11 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Hi Wendy,

Yes, I have nine members of an Auckland Association football team who were killed and who I research. I also have an interest in the Christmas truce of 1914 and particularly the football matches of legend. One of the two for which you can make a case for using evidence rather than supposition took place not far from the area in the photos. I'd like to walk the whole area soon as it's very rich in WW1 history, but is largely ignored. There are a group of us on the forum who see ourselves as friends of the Forgotten Front as it is often described.

Pete.

No doubt you have been looking at the Australian war memorial site, they have a huge amount of information available with all the diaries digitised fantastic photo collection. 

Good luck with your research. Wendy 

Thanks Wendy, good luck to you too.

Pete.