Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 field gun outside Beverley Road antiques shop, Hull, Yorkshire

MAW

Hi Margaret,

we see what we are interested in. My mother would navigate through a city by the hospitals (she was a doctor), my wife by the churches and me by the trophy field guns. Over 40 years I have travelled extensively around the world for work. If I have time I will often go to the local tourist information service and ask if there are any canons on display in the district.  The question always throws them. Some have the answer, some are horrified that I should even ask the question. But it is amazing how many people can have lived in a town for years and never noticed a gun in the park.

Cheers

Ross

It now transpires that the Beverley Road gun originally came from a churchyard in Hedon (St. Augustine's Church), near Burton Pidsea and was sold to an antiques dealer called Colin.

I am not sure if this is a wild goose chase, but does anyone remember a WW1 field gun in the churchyard of St. Augustine's Church, Hedon?

The name of the shop in the photo was 'The House of Antiques'.

Edited by MAW

A reply from an official at St. Augustine's Church, Hedon to a recent enquiry regarding this gun:

'The gun was never in the actual Churchyard but in the garden of Windyridge, Market Hill, Hedon - a house very near the Church - owned by my great aunt.

I believe it was obtained by the Park family and basically kept as a token in their garden. I do remember it well.

I believe my great aunt disposed of it by selling it to some collector. She had too many people bothering her and intruding as she became elderly - I think there were a few incidents when she felt vulnerable so she let it go.

I think there was some press coverage by the Hull Daily Mail at the time about the gun going down Hedon Road - I may have got that a bit wrong!'

Excellent info.

• 1 year later...

To shed a little further light on this topic, my father was Jerome Walsh the antiques dealer in question. His shop on Beverley Road no longer exists but it was indeed roughly opposite The Dorchester Hotel. The gun was outside his shop for a few years in the early 1970s and was quite a local landmark, and I remember playing on it as a little girl.  My father exported the gun to America some time in the mid - late 1970s when he was importing and exporting a lot of antiques to and from the US. I don't have any details as to who he sold it to, or exactly when or where.

Hi Gartbart,

welcome to the forum, and thanks for the update. The 70s was a period when huge quantities of "antique" furniture and collectibles were being exported from the UK.  Here in Oz many antique dealers made the annual pilgrimage to the old dart and brought back a container of stock. Mostly late Victorian.

It was such a different world back then. So many things sold for such sharply different prices in different countries.

On 29/03/2020 at 09:20, Chasemuseum said:

... The 70s was a period when huge quantities of "antique" furniture and collectibles were being exported from the UK.  Here in Oz many antique dealers made the annual pilgrimage to the old dart and brought back a container of stock. Mostly late Victorian.

It was such a different world back then. So many things sold for such sharply different prices in different countries.

'Twas indeed. I remember 2 MA students in the mid-late 70's at Durham Uni from the USA who part-funded their studies that way! 

• 2 weeks later...

More information and a photograph here of the Beverley gun, for sale in 1967.

https://www.alamy.com/feb-02-1967-antique-german-field-gun-for-sale-standing-on-the-forscourt-image69426718.html

1 hour ago, JRG said:

More information and a photograph here of the Beverley gun, for sale in 1967.

https://www.alamy.com/feb-02-1967-antique-german-field-gun-for-sale-standing-on-the-forscourt-image69426718.html

That's the same photo and information posted by IanA back in post 10 almost two years ago... :glare:

Edited by Andrew Upton

Sorry only saw the header photo on this post, which was different.

• 1 year later...

Further to the old cannon at Hedon. Does anyone recall an earlier type of gun in the garden of a cottage on Thorn Road, Hedon? Apparently, according to family who used to visit relatives in Patrington, the cottage was on a corner and had small piles of cannon balls either side of the garden.

• 1 month later...

Just to add, and i dont know if there is a surviving gun topic, there are two field cannons opposite the barracks in Guernsey, worth seeing for the superb condition they are in. 

Wot? NO photographs?:whistle: