Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glo'ster Post

michaeldr

Another question regarding a location 

Glo'ster (sic) Post was just next to Sulajik Farm

Would I be right in thinking that the place sometimes referred to as Gloucester Point is one and the same?

• 2 years later...

My belief is that it is one of the same. Reading the 39th Brigade War Diaries, the 7th Glosters were located in and around this area. 

image.png.0fbcd9a471d2f572915fcaa281acbfd4.png

(Old trench numbering)

image.png.6fafbd7cee83244a54fe1176394a77c5.png

(New trench numbering)

My return question for you is that the War Diary for the 39th Brigade spent a lot of time creating a small Garrison post (1 officer and 25 men) located some 50 yards in front of the firing line (old trench No C53). My assumption is that the "Ruined Hut" is also the Gloster Post ... but I'm not 100% sure of this.  Any thoughts ?

• 2 weeks later...

Simon,

Thanks for your in-put here

and now it's time for me to confess

Since I saw your above post I've been scratching what's left of my brains, but to no avail;

I cannot now remember what brought me raise this question nearly three years ago

Anno Domini taking its toll? Quite possibly

I've visited this area several times, but I can claim no expert knowledge on either the 39th Brigade or the Glosters

Having just now re-read the diary I can see that the ref (28th Sept) to the "ruined hut in front of C.52" could indeed be the Glosters Post on your second map

I think that it helps at this point to rotate your first map so that it coincides with your second

102968671_GlosterPostMap.jpg.3c1dd29e85bfd49e0d82c204a854e0bd.jpg

and one can now see that (as per the WD) the ruined hut/Gloster Post is indeed in front of C.52

best regards

Michael