Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Buried at Pozieres - where was the original cemetery?

keithfazzani

Am looking at 13th KRRC on the Somme. There are 7 casualties buried in Pozieres British Cemetery, they are all concentration burials. They died between 13 July and 19th July 1916. The concentration form on CWGC gives the following brief map reference for the original burial place 57D x.9. Can anyone tell me which of the list of concentration cemeteries for Pozieres this is? 

Here are some of the cemeteries near Pozieres as shown on two body density maps.

Howard

BD57Dfragment.jpg

BD62Dfragment.jpg

You may have already worked this out but the 1000 yards square referred to is as shown in this photo (September 1916)

pozieres.png.f9a9f27478d4017f5ef8a65d99b5bb7b.png

Edited by ajsmith

The war diary has the location of the frontline during those days X 9 c 9 1 to X15 b 8 1 on 12th, patrols to X 4 on 14th, relieved on 16th but back to second line NE of Boisselles on 16th which was shelled, back to the front line 18th, shelling continues on front, second and support.  Back to rest on 29=0th, diary notes almost all casualties (37 ORs in the period) from shell fire.

Max

Thanks, yes I had got to the square and the War Diary. I suppose I was wondering whether there was a "named" cemetery there which was consolidated. CWGC mentions several original battlefield cemeteries concentrated at Pozieres, but doesn't give any map references for them. Incidentally an officer Dickins wounded on 12th July, as mentioned in the War Diary is buried at St Pierre, Amiens where he died of wounds. 

On a broader note does anyone know of a list of original cemeteries from which consolidations were made. I have a map for Ypres including some of these, which appears in a very early guidebook "The Pilgrim's Guide to the Ypres Salient". 

The White Cross Touring Atlas published around 1920 showed many of the original burial grounds although locations are not precise (I can't lay my hands on my copy at present).

Richard

Hi Keith

The map is from "The White Cross Touring Atlas"

Below are the cemeteries which appear to fit within your search area. If you want the names of any of the others let me know their numbers.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

John

41767589052_2c6a698ac3_o.jpg

358            Cemetery Post Station – Pozieres

276            1276  Pozieres British Cemetery

1210            Ovillers British Cemetery

1348            Red Dragon British Cemetery – Ovillers La Boiselle 

1302            Quarry Post Cemetery – Authuille Wood - Ovillers La Boiselle

686            Gordon Dump Cemetery - Ovillers La Boiselle

347            Casualty Corner Cemetery - Contalmaison

298            Canadian (2nd) Cemetery – Sunken Road - Contalmaison

1557            Sunken Road Cemetery – Near Pozieres – Contalmaison 

Thank you, John. I'll have a good look at this in conjunction with the War Diary. I'll get back if I need other names. Very helpful. 

All the Best : Keith 

John I think that the one I am looking for is 1348 or 686.

Keith,

686 Red Dragon Cemetery was a 1918 cemetery concentrated into Ovillers. 1348 is Gordon Dump which is existing.

Richard

Richard, I believe that you have mixed up the two cemeteries. "The White Cross Touring Atlas" gives 686 as Gordon Dump and 1348 as Red Dragon Cemetery. See below;

Keith, the only cemetery that I can see which was concentrated into Pozieres, close to X.9 is Casualty Corner Cemetery (No. 347 on the map), although not actually in X.9. There are almost 200 burials in Pozieres Cemetery who are listed as being found with a map reference of just X.9.

Kind regards

John

26964146577_1cdc97bd7d_o.jpg

41789982622_84ac5fa672_o.jpg

Thanks everyone. Yes John that looks likely, well as certain as we are ever likely to be. Thanks once again. 

Edited by keithfazzani

21 hours ago, Frajohn said:

Richard, I believe that you have mixed up the two cemeteries. "The White Cross Touring Atlas" gives 686 as Gordon Dump and 1348 as Red Dragon Cemetery. See below;

Keith, the only cemetery that I can see which was concentrated into Pozieres, close to X.9 is Casualty Corner Cemetery (No. 347 on the map), although not actually in X.9. There are almost 200 burials in Pozieres Cemetery who are listed as being found with a map reference of just X.9.

Kind regards

John

26964146577_1cdc97bd7d_o.jpg

41789982622_84ac5fa672_o.jpg

John/Nigel,

Correct I did mix them up, probably senility!!

Richard

On 29/04/2018 at 16:55, Howard said:

Here are some of the cemeteries near Pozieres as shown on two body density maps.

Howard

BD57Dfragment.jpg

BD62Dfragment.jpg

Hi, 

Can anybody read the figures in X. 14. A & C 

my great great uncle W/1068 Private William Shore.  13th Cheshire’s 

was found at that grid reference and later buried in Ovillers Military Cemetery 

Here is square 14 a bit bigger and 14a much bigger.

I think

A=101 although it could be 701. If 701 it is very high. A lot of the other 1s slope the same amount as the first number so more likely 101.

B=19. Not 14 as the the writer used the old fashioned 4 in other squares

C=105. Fairly sure.

D=4 Fairly sure.

Based on other more legible charaters.

I hope that helps.

Howard

square14.jpg

square14a.jpg

Edited by Howard

Thank you for your reply 

• 1 year later...

Hi,

in another thread working on burials at the same cemetery, we have overlaid an aerial photo on a trench map with a map reference taken from the GRRF cards. This may assist your searching.

The other thread can be found here - Pozieres British Cemetery Ovillers la-Boisselle

Brett

• 4 months later...

My Great uncle Horace Henry Griffiths y373 is buried here, he was in the 13th KRRC died in action on 13th July 1916.

this is wonderful information as we don't really know how he died.  I visited the grave with my children  very moving experience and  one my children will now

carry on, so he was moved here from another plot after the war.  I think we was found with the 3 other men in unmarked graves.

any information you could add would be most welcome.