Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Malta Sites

onlyme

Hi

Planning a holiday to Malta.

I know Malta was seen as a Hospital base in Mediterranean in WW1.

I have pencilled in the CWGC cemeteries but just wondered are there any must see sites for the WW1 enthusiast in Malta?

Bases or Buildings?

Thanks

Ian

I visited Pieta Military Cemetery 5 years ago to visit the 1916 grave of a relative. An unusual cemetery (compared to those on the Western Front at least). It wasn't easy to find (pre-smartphone). The nearby much larger 'civilian' cemetery was an interesting testament to the much longer-term presence of British military on the island......as is Valetta itself, an impressive place.

Not aware of any other WW1 specifics. I think my single 1/2 day excursion to the CWGC cemetery was all I was 'allowed' on this otherwise family holiday

David

Malta housed  a vast number of hospital beds during the great war. One of the temporary hospitals is now the site of a holiday camp, and of course, The Grand Harbour itself bring all the island's history together.  Just contemplating what it has seen over the centuries is amazing. There are quite a number of great war graves in the Cappucini Naval Cemetery which is near Fort Rinella, (OK not WW! but a great little museum with that amazing Armstrong gun0, and by appointment only there are some Great War Muslim graves in the Turkish Military Cemetery at Marsa. The exterior is worth a view despite the surroundings, but to gain access you have to liaise with the Turkish embassy. Some years ago I contacted them, and they were a little slow to reply, but someone turned up with the key and allowed me to photograph the whole site as well as the CWGC graves.  Enjoy your visit.

2 hours ago, keithmroberts said:

Malta housed  a vast number of hospital beds during the great war. One of the temporary hospitals is now the site of a holiday camp, and of course, The Grand Harbour itself bring all the island's history together.  Just contemplating what it has seen over the centuries is amazing. There are quite a number of great war graves in the Cappucini Naval Cemetery which is near Fort Rinella, (OK not WW! but a great little museum with that amazing Armstrong gun0, and by appointment only there are some Great War Muslim graves in the Turkish Military Cemetery at Marsa. The exterior is worth a view despite the surroundings, but to gain access you have to liaise with the Turkish embassy. Some years ago I contacted them, and they were a little slow to reply, but someone turned up with the key and allowed me to photograph the whole site as well as the CWGC graves.  Enjoy your visit.

I may get to the Fort if I've got time. From the end of the street I get a full view across the Elswick Works (and what little part is still left in use today).

Craig

Thanks for replies and recommendations I am looking forward to it.

While Better Half  does the shops I’ll defo bounce onto a bus and do the CWGC’s 

• 4 weeks later...

Visited a few of the cemeteries in Malta.

Couple of photos from Malta Naval graveyard

I have lots of research to keep me going now but was wondering

Are there any greek translators to translate the Hellenic Naval Headstone?

It was very Interesting to see the inter mix of pre WW1 casualties too.

Then I noticed a few that had deaths attributed to WW1 and I wonder why the 1914 - 18 casualties were "allowed" non standard headstones?

It is unbelieveable how dry the country is and how few plants grow yet still the CWGC gardeners manage to create colour in the graveyards.

Ian

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

Morning,

Not really answering you questions, but I visited here a few years ago and was interested to see that some pre WW1 headstones had a cause of death. Quite a few of the men appear to have fallen into the dry dock whilst working etc.

Graeme

The name on the Greek headstone is I. PANAGOU. The "I" stands for Ioannis. Panagou is Panagos in the genitive case.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/75191766/panagos,-ioannis/

The inscription at the bottom, Ἀνδρῶν ἐπιφανῶν πᾶσα γῆ τάφος, comes from Pericles' Funeral Oration, a speech in Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War, and is usually translated as "The whole earth is the sepulchre of famous men".

Adrian

Edited by apwright

Thanks Adrian for the reply re the Greek Naval inscription. Very interesting

Also yes Graham I noticed cause of death on a few headstones, I have attached a photo showing  Malta dockyard disaster in 1915 and also alongside a accident in torpedo lecture room also in 1915, it really is a very interesting cemetery.

ian

17E1A3FE-0398-41A5-BC0E-643594A3349F.jpeg