Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2Lt Herbert Roy Burnett RAF

Terry_Reeves

Herbert Roy Burnett's  file at TNA shows him as being missing believed killed on 25 September 1918. He was serving with 55 Sqn, I believe as an observer.  He is recorded as being buried at Chambieres French National Cemetery, Metz. I wonder if anyone can help with any details of his mission, aircraft type etc. please.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

22 minutes ago, Vlaamse Verhalen said:

This thread appears to be rather definitive

Best wishes

Steve

Steve

Many thanks. He was awarded his MM whilst serving with the Royal Engineers Special Brigade.

TR

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 18:25, Terry_Reeves said:

Steve

Many thanks. He was awarded his MM whilst serving with the Royal Engineers Special Brigade.

TR

Was he? The RE special brigade were the gas people using highly educated graduates as corprals.This dosnt match Robinsons career path

on the other thread where hes a mere despatch rider [in the RFC?] in Nov 1915 , before the MM was introduced.

Nils

3 hours ago, nils d said:

Was he? The RE special brigade were the gas people using highly educated graduates as corprals.This dosnt match Robinsons career path

on the other thread where hes a mere despatch rider [in the RFC?] in Nov 1915 , before the MM was introduced.

Nils 

My post was about Burnett not Robinson. 

I am quite sure. Burnett's  number was 106151 and he was part of a batch of some 300 plus corporals who disembarked in France on 13.7.15 to form the first two special companies. These were 186 and 187 companies.  He attended Birkbeck College, University of London. [ University of London Student Records 1836-1936]

His MM appears in the London Gazette here, 1 Oct 1917

http://tinyurl.com/yarncun6

Note he was from  Finsbury Park, London. His father's address is given on his MIC as Finsbury Park. Moreover  his father wrote a letter to the Air Ministry about his medals which further confirms this - see below.

IMG_5902.jpg

Edited by Terry_Reeves

No worries Nils. Yes, I think he was in a state of denial to start with. I wonder how many others felt that way and perhaps never could accept their relatives death when their remains were not found.

TR