Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Varila Tepe - also called Hersing Post

michaeldr

After the allied withdrawal in January 1916, the German Naval Shore Detachment maintained observation posts along the Aegean coast of the peninsula and the Gulf of Saros.

One of these also served as a staging post for U Boats. Here they would take on-board a German pilot to guide them through the mine fields and up the Dardanelles to Istanbul.

This OP was named Hersing Post, after the commander of U21. It's site is given as 'Varila Tepe'

Is Varila Tepe at Ejelmer Bay? [Ejelmer is also called Myrmidia Bay on a contemporary Freytags Karte]

Thanks in advance for advice

Michael

Well, I think that I have found Varil Tepe, which is not near Ejelmer Bay, but a little further eastwards along the Gulf of Saros' southern shore

See the map crop below showing height 358 Koja Tepe and in brackets beneath, 'Varil'

Perhaps the Observation Post was on the hill top, but where would the U Boats have come in?

Was Kara Agaj Liman the (German) Hersing Post?

5ae3726a5bcc8_MapVarilaTepeGulfofSarossouthcoast.jpg.becc9d86e78f9ec46bbe7e95003832b7.jpg

I would suggest Michael that you bundle up your queries in your old kit bag when you come over and we will try and sit down with Sahin Aldogan over a cold sherbet and discuss place names. 

Just a thought

Cheers

Bill

Hello Michael,

well, I have to say that I never have seen an chart of that area, including the "Hersingstand", as far as I know. But I have a note that locates this hill at 40°25'N, 26°28'E, that indeed is north of the village Tayfurköy. Using Google Earth there seems to be a hill indeed. I can't say if it is the one you have mentioned, I have not charts or else in that detail for that area.

The place which was used by the U-boats should be a small bay further north of the hill in question!

Oliver

Oliver,

I'm very grateful for your taking the time to look at this question

I'll be on Gallipoli next week and I am planning to meet with a few local historians: I will raise this question with them

If I get any firm information, then I will post it here on my return

Thanks again for your interest here

Best regards

Michael

Hello Michael,

ah, yes I saw that you are heading to Turkey, looking forward to have a nice drink, fine weather and maybe some interesting meetings :-)

Have a good journey!

Oliver

• 2 years later...
On 27/04/2018 at 19:57, michaeldr said:

Well, I think that I have found Varil Tepe, which is not near Ejelmer Bay, but a little further eastwards along the Gulf of Saros' southern shore

See the map crop below showing height 358 Koja Tepe and in brackets beneath, 'Varil'

Perhaps the Observation Post was on the hill top, but where would the U Boats have come in?

Was Kara Agaj Liman the (German) Hersing Post?

5ae3726a5bcc8_MapVarilaTepeGulfofSarossouthcoast.jpg.becc9d86e78f9ec46bbe7e95003832b7.jpg

quote - Was Kara Agaj Liman the (German) Hersing Post?

Well, two years later, the answer appears to be Yes

See the Turkish research here https://canakkalemuharebeleri1915.com/makale-ler/87-saban-murat-armutak/529-saros-korfezi-nde-gi-zli-deni-zalti-ussu

Mate,

I found many Germans in the Naval Shore Det, many give there unit just as Sonderkommando, which is a word over used by the Germans in Turkey.

Klaus Wolf shows a number in his book and give an area to check?

Dümmel Paul    Kapt-Lt Dr Marine    Stabsarzt Medical att Camp Naval Shore Det at Kilia Tepe 10-17 to 5-18    1917-18    shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Fievert Karl     Kapt Dr Marine    Stabsarzt (medical) SMS Breslau Physician to Naval shore Det at Kilia Tepe 1915 to Joseph Hosp at Istanbul     1914-17    (not identified)? awarded EK II 5-15 shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Gorzelski Eduard    Matrosen Marine     Naval Shore Det - in Fort at Sigindere     1915-    KIA 4-6-15) reported killed by Artillery at Sigindere 

Hoheisel Paul    Matrosen Marine     Naval Shore Det - in Fort at Sigindere     1915-    KIA 4-6-15) reported killed by Artillery at Sigindere 

Keiner Walter    ObLt    Artillery Officer 5th Army at Gallipoli att Naval Shore Det at Kiretch Tepe    1915-    (1890 at Benshausen died 1978) from Artillery 3rd Foot Regt shown WIA 4-18 RTG staff Capt 200th Div 5-18 later WWII General der Artillery to Lt-Gen 62nd Div France 1940 Russia WIA 1941 rtn 62nd Div France 1944 to Commander in Chief of the Replacement Army 1945 PoW 1945 shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Krülls Eduard    ObLtzS deR to Kapt-Lt Marine    Naval Range Officer in Istanbul 1914-15 a guide in "Hamidiye" & In the landing units 1915 Commander of the Submarine Filotilla Main officer of the submarines 1916-17 special forces Naval transport unit chairman 1918 - shown Navigation officer Ottoman ship "Hamidiye" and SMS Goeben to Sdr-Kdo (Sonderkommando) Naval Shore Det (Naval MG Sects Marine-Landungsabteilung) at Gallipoli (replaced Boltz WIA) 8-15 RTG 1916 returned to Commander U Boat Flotilla in Istanbul     1915-16 1917-18    (not identified)? RTG illness Typhus 1916 returned 1917 awarded EK II 4-15 and 10-15 shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Moat just don't give an area they were in sorry

S.B

• 2 weeks later...

Mate,

I also found this man?

Brandt     ObLtzS Marine    Çanakkale Yenisehir'de gözetleme subayi (Surveillance officer at Çanakkale Yenisehir)

I believe he is

Brandt Wilhelm    Ensign Marine    SMS Goeben (Yavuz)

But I've been wrong before?

I also found these men?

Usedom Hans Leo von    LtzS to ObLtzS Marine    Çanakkale Yenisehir'de gözetleme subayi (Tümamiral von Usedom'un oglu) (Surveillance officer at Çanakkale Yenisehir (Admiral von usedom's son) to U Boats lost in U 93 1918    1915-16    (1894 at Berlin KIA 7-1-18) SMS Konig 1915 to Turkey 10-15 RTG 3-17 to U Boats reported lost in U 93 in the English channel 7-1-18

Wolfram (possibly Joachim)    LtzS Marine    Çanakkale Yenisehir'de gözetleme subayi (Surveillance officer at Çanakkale Yenisehir)    1917-18    (born at Wilhelminenhof )

Cheers

S.B