Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Burial Return Form - Question

Volitans

Hi all,

Could someone give me a bit of background on this form, particularly what GRU.3 means? Any info you can give in reference to Pte Stacey Berks Regt will be greatly received. 

Many thanks!

doc1980628.JPG

If you go back to his entry on CWGC website and click on Concentration report you will see where he was originally buried,

22 minutes ago, johnboy said:

If you go back to his entry on CWGC website and click on Concentration report you will see where he was originally buried,

Hi Johnboy. Slightly confused as CWGC shows the file in my first post as the Concentration report.

I also found the graves report which has some numbers/dates on it which I have attached below.

Cheers for your help John and Terry. I'm still very new at this.

doc1980341.JPG

Ahhh, wait a minute. On the original form it says map reference where body found. That map reference is extremely close (about 50yrds) away from Longeuval Road cemetery. I assumed it meant where his body was found/killed...but it could be where he was previously buried?

Edited by Volitans

I think the map ref is the one where he was exhumed. Try CWGC  again get his burial details and scroll down and look a historical details I think it is called and see if says where concentrations were brought in from

Cheers John.

Been through the CWGC entry for both Caterpillar Valley and Longueval Road cemetery. Can't see anything relating to Pte Stacey, his battalion, regiment or division sadly.

The Graves Registration Report Form does state exhumation written in pencil at the top, and elsewhere in the document it mentions December 1920 and February 1921.

42 members of his battalion were killed the same day as him so I might have a look to see where the majority of the others are buried in the hope it will give some clarity as to where abouts during the engagement he was killed (they fought very close to longueval road cemetery before pushing into Trones Wood)

Cheers again for all of your help!

Edited by Volitans