Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Timothy John cullen

My guess is that the one on the left is a horse.

23 hours ago, mancpal said:

My guess is that the one on the left is a horse.

Gee. thanks ..what about the one one on the right?.. But seriously I would deem it a favour if some one could help me kind regards John. 

Hi

Welcome to the forum. I suggest you change the post heading, ie. Identify uniform etc. Looks like an Australian  Imperial Forces uniform to me going off the hat. BUT I am not an expert. If he was in France in 1914 then he would qualify for the 14/15 Star which cuts the search down a great deal.

Regards Barry

No Australian Imperial Force men in France in 1914, surely, and I couldn't find "John Joseph Fields" in the AIF personnel dossiers for the Boer and Great Wars.

I know little about uniforms, but Fields' reminds me of some of those worn by British Volunteer Battalions in the very early 20th century.

The annotation would appear to be a modern one.

As Barry suggests, an improved post heading might attract those who know something about uniforms. (Very few of us have the time to look at every new thread to see if it's within our own area of interest.)

And some background might also help. Is he a family member? Where did the photo come from? And so on.

Welcome to the Forum, by the way, John, and good luck with your query.

Moonraker

Hi John

The photo you have posted is on a public tree on Ancestry, showing John Joseph Fields, 17th London Regt. Rifleman, 3160 enlisted  7.9.14. disch.24.8.16. wounds. SWB No. 52020. Born 1885 Liverpool,  Buried 11 Dec 1942, Ford Cemetery, Lancashire.

Regards Barry

2 hours ago, Timothy John cullen said:

Gee. thanks ..what about the one one on the right?.. But seriously I would deem it a favour if some one could help me kind regards John. 

The only John J. with overseas service is a John James Fields.

There are medal index cards for several men named John Fields. Any info regarding year / place of birth,  parents' names, where he was living etc. may help narrow the search.

3 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Hi John

The photo you have posted is on a public tree on Ancestry, showing John Joseph Fields, 17th London Regt. Rifleman, 3160 enlisted  7.9.14. disch.24.8.16. wounds. SWB No. 52020. Born 1885 Liverpool,  Buried 11 Dec 1942, Ford Cemetery, Lancashire.

Regards Barry

Rfn. 3160. 17th London is John Joseph Field.  - No S! 

Hi 

Yes, I agree but:-

The birth, marriage cert, death and burial are Field S. The tree has him as Fields. He had ten children four were Fields and the rest Field. The tree owner's surname is the same as the post originator.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

15 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Hi 

Yes, I agree but:-

The tree has him as Fields.

Regards Barry

Hmmm,:huh:

The same photo also appears on three trees, as Field!

I wonder who added the notation to the photo, and who posted it first. 

Hi

Good question!

Perhaps John can give us a few more clues or is that it?

Regards Barry 

??? If John Joseph Field(s) 3160 is the right man then his younger brother Michael was 31893 Kings Liverpool died 15.9.16. CWGC checks out to same parents.  Soldiers' effects, widow Annie.  Married Annie Roach July 1914, Liverpool.

Edited by The Inspector

We do seem to be looking here and there, if not everywhere, for information about the man, and it really would help if John could provide us with the background that he already has and exactly what he wants to know. His opening post consisted only of a photograph and no text, prompting a couple of us to think it was the uniform he was enquiring about. Presumably he already knows something about  John Joseph Fields as he appears to be the Ancestry tree-owner? I suspect that some of us are following the same paths of research that he has, but without the benefit of his route-map!

I'm not surprised at conflicting usages of Field and Fields. This sort of variation was and is very common (as I not infrequently experience with the way clerical types mis-render my own name).

If Fields was a17th London Regiment rifleman, I don't think he would have worn that uniform in 1914-16. If he was born in 1885, he would have been old enough to have served with a prewar Volunteer Battalion. I have a postcard showing the Queen's Westminsters on Salisbury Plain in 1908 wearing uniforms very much like that in the photograph, and no doubt other units were similarly  outfitted.

Moonraker

18 hours ago, Moonraker said:

No Australian Imperial Force men in France in 1914, surely, and I couldn't find "John Joseph Fields" in the AIF personnel dossiers for the Boer and Great Wars.

I know little about uniforms, but Fields' reminds me of some of those worn by British Volunteer Battalions in the very early 20th century.

The annotation would appear to be a modern one.

As Barry suggests, an improved post heading might attract those who know something about uniforms. (Very few of us have the time to look at every new thread to see if it's within our own area of interest.)

And some background might also help. Is he a family member? Where did the photo come from? And so on.

Welcome to the Forum, by the way, John, and good luck with your query.

Moonraker

Thank you very much  kind sir. I am very greatfull for any info. Regarding my grand father . Yes he died in Liverpool  in 1942 buried in ford cemetery .  The photo came from my auntie. And still alive she is 91 in December will be 92 ... And talks for England haha. His brother was killed in France in 1916. His name on the theival monument . I checked out the

john Joseph fields. but was not the same one as I was looking for the John Joseph fields am looking for lived in Liverpool  in  Hornby street Everton Liverpool .(.the one that pops up  in the London rifles is not him .) the s in fields was  added on by the numerator in the 1871 census John Joseph . Father came over from Marne  in France  his name was( Timothy field no s) that John fields that was in the rifles lived in London. Not Liverpool and married to a Catherine . My John is married to a Mary Ellen . Hope I have helped my query along a little.  kind regards John .thanks for any help ...and your time for reading  this short note...

19 hours ago, The Inspector said:

Hi John

Regards Barry

Hi  Barry 

No that is not the johnjoseph Barry my John lived in Hornby street Everton Liverpool his wife s name was Mary Ellen   And his daughter is still alive  she gave me a post card photo  of him but it was so dog eared it disintegrated almost un recognition ..the writing on the photo was for other people to identify him   Yes he was born in1885 and married in 1905 in Liverpool   (John was NOT injured )I was told he was discharged about 1920 am not to sure on that date..hope it helps kind regards John 

22 hours ago, Timothy John cullen said:

Hi John

What is the name of John Joseph Fields' brother who was killed in France and is on the Thiepval Memorial? I understand he was called Michael, if so then, if I am correct, he is 31893 Kings Liverpool Regt. as post No 11, his wife was Annie Roach.  Your John's wife was Mary Ellen Carson  1885-1956, m 10th Sept 1905. In 1911 John and his wife and her brother Thomas were at 1 Vescock St., John 's occupation a Carter. Where does the Hornby Street address come from and what date?......looking.....which is your tree on Ancestry?

Regards Barry

Hi Barry.  His name was Micheal.  Yes you would be right barry. The Hornby street comes along round about1920 . In the 1911 census Micheal was probably with his father one street away in  14a Mile End. Everton. John was married before  Micheal also Micheal was older than John by two or three years  micheal got married in 1914. His daughter was born the same year only had about two months together then to war. My tree is the Cullen tree in Ancestry. Thanks Barry for taking time out for me kind regards hope it helped? 

Hi John

You have got mixed up somewhere.

In 1911 Michael was with his father, Timothy born France, at 7 Rawsthorne Square off Limekiln Lane, Liverpool. Also present Timothy Fields, 16 yrs and the McCormack family (Ann/Annie Field(s) husband etc.) You have to view the actual census form as Timothy Snr.is not shown on the typed record but he is the head of the household. If you search for Timothy Fields born France then he comes up with his own record at that address with the same census return..  ?? where does the address 14a Mile End, Everton come from.  ?? 18 Hornby St, was the home of Anna McCormi(a)ck in 1905 when Annie also known as Amy Field(s) married Thomas.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

19 hours ago, The Inspector said:

Hi John

You have got mixed up somewhere.

In 1911 Michael was with his father, Timothy born France, at 7 Rawsthorne Square off Limekiln Lane, Liverpool. Also present Timothy Fields, 16 yrs and the McCormack family (Ann/Annie Field(s) husband etc.) You have to view the actual census form as Timothy Snr.is not shown on the typed record but he is the head of the household. If you search for Timothy Fields born France then he comes up with his own record at that address with the same census return..  ?? where does the address 14a Mile End, Everton come from.  ?? 18 Hornby St, was the home of Anna McCormi(a)ck in 1905 when Annie also known as Amy Field(s) married Thomas.

Regards Barry

Hi Barry. 

Well I must admit I am a little confused myself Barry.now that it has been pointed out to me.what I will do is get in touch with the McCormacks and ask about young Timothy being 16 in 1911 census.. He is not in the fields grave .  My mother was born in 1907  in upper  beau street Liverpool. My mothers brother Timothy was born in Hornby street in 1914 a lot of children died in Hornby street  I think about five and some still births.  The French man Timothy he died in number 14A Mile End . His daughter Ann was present at the house  as stated in the death certificate   I do not know any Amy. I have seen it flag up but dismissed it . But I do know that the John Joseph field that is in the rifles is not my one.I looked him up along time ago Barry he comes from London his wife's name was Catherine  and lives in London  he signed  up in London .my John lived in Liverpool and signed up in Liverpool. Am sorry that I cannot give you anymore info.  Barry until I have a word with the Mccormacks. The fields certainly moved around  house wise.... Thank you very much Barry  I really do appreciate in what you and your comarads are doing  for me please pass it on for me .. Kind regards cheers John PS my old

nick name was( salty )

Hi Barry ..I have got to the bottom of Micheal fields Jrn.he died. When he was 22 yrs old .i am awaiting death certificate.  Don't know why he did not go in the forces?  Thanks for all your help Barry cheers John 

Hi Barry.  just been told that in 1914/18 my grand father John  was shell shocked and was told that if he could get some one to sign up in his place  he could be allowed home. As it was back then they did not think that shell shock was an illness . As it is to day. They  thought it was a sign of cowardice.   Would that be right..what I have been told  that John asked  his brother Into the army but he was killed and John was home his sister never forgiven him  for asking him to join up.micheal must have been in a exempt position  to be called up ? Cheers john

I am connected to the McCormick family mentioned here.  Thomas McCormick my Great grandfathers brother married Annie Fields 1905, Annie's father was called Timothy Fields. My Great Grandmother Annie McCormick (nee Manley) was witness to the marriage of Thomas McCormick and Annie Fields, her residence at that time is recorded as 18, Hornby Street, Liverpool.

Edited by kathleen donaldson

Looking in my Wounded database I do have the following

Date of list: 18th June 1917

Regiment: South Lancashire Regiment

Forename: John

Surname: Fields

Regiment number: 18961

Incident: Wounded.

Next of kin reside Liverpool.

The above landed in the Balkans 24/11/1915 and was discharged 3/6/1919.

I don't know if this is your John Joseph Fields, he could have served as John Fields and not used his middle name.

Edited by kathleen donaldson

Hi Kathleen long time no see . I do remember you very well  you done a search for me many years ago for my father a George Cullen  and I found him .I am very much in touch with Theresa cooper and her daughter Robyn. We are family  also in touch with Kathryn .i would very much like to hear more  about my grandfather John  . Hope to hear from you soon. Kind regards John