Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Christina Macpherson QMAAC

mbriscoe

Christina Macpherson QMAAC is listed on the WWI part of the Dalcross and Croy War Memorial but I cannot find her on the CWGC site.

There is that name in the Silver War Badge Records on Ancestry

Name: Christina McPherson
Discharge Unit: Q.M.A.A.C.
Regiment: Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps
Regimental Number: 49049
Badge Number: B127931
Piece: 3246
List Number: WAAC 0001-0379
Record Group: WO
Record Class: 329

The document shows her as Christina May Macpherson.  Enlisted 16.09.18 and discharged 01.03.19 as Medically Unfit and did not serve overseas.  So perhaps she died after being discharged.

Croy and Dalcross Parish War Memorial

Edited by mbriscoe

Cut off date for CWGC is 21/8/1921 so if she died after that date she won't be listed. Incidently I think the 'May' part on the SWB roll is for the next WAAC on the list; McCarthy not for McPherson.

There is an obit for a Christina MacPherson in the Kirkintilloch Herald - Wednesday 17 February 1937 which is not far from Croy.

TEW

I wasn't looking in the newspaper as far as 1937!

It is Dalcross and Croy which is near Dalcross (Inverness Airport).

https://canmore.org.uk/site/318723/croy-heathfield-croy-and-dalcross-war-memorial

Kirkintilloch Herald - Wednesday 17 February 1937

Image © Johnston Press plc. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

MACPHERSON. At 11 Queen's Gate, Glasgow, on 11th February, 1937, Christina Macpherson, for many years the faithful and much valued friend and nurse in the family of the late Ex-Provost and Mrs. Stewart, Eden Park, Lenzie.

According to the index on Scotlandspeople there was only 1 Christina Macpherson who died in Glasgow in 1937. She was 94 years old, so would have been too old for Q.M.A.A.C.

Regards,

Alf McM

Just to comment that the service number shown on the Silver War Badge entry as 49049 is not the same as the service number on the Medal Index Card which is 29049. Clerical mistake I would think but I do not know which is correct.

• 1 month later...

Worker/Cook Christina McPherson

Date of death – 27th June 1919

Service – Queen Mary’s Army Auxiliary Corps

Service no. – 49049

Place of burial – Unknown.

Not listed by CWGC. Awarded Silver War Badge B127931 which noted her date of enlistment as 16th September 1918, and discharged as medically unfit 1st March 1919. Noted to have not served abroad.

Died at the Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh of Tuberculor Peritonits which she had had for 4 months also suffering from exhaustion and debility.

Daughter of Alexander McPherson, (Mason, Journeyman) and Catherine McPherson (nee Fraser); She was born 10th March 1900 at Clephanton. Her parents had married 25th November 1892 at Inverness. Recorded in 1901 census to be the youngest of four children of Alexander (40) and Catherine (29) with children of John (7), Alexander (5), Catherine J (2) and Christina (1).

Stuart