Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

royal marine light infantry

hi everyone , new to the forum just trying to find out more about my grandfather , william paish 1st royal marine light infantry , service num po/1892/s , he was a pow 24/3/18 and demobilised 8/3/19 , i think he enlisted 12 feb 1917 thats all i know 

If you haven't already seen it, his Red Cross POW Entry says he was captured unwounded at Rivecourt on the 23/4/1918 - Looks like he spent some time at Parchim POW Camp before being transferred to Friedrichsfeld POW Camp. Registry entry attached gives D.O.B, Next of Kin and address in England.

Welcome to the forum

Steve

Paish Red Cross.JPG

Welcome

A single page RM records exists. DoB claimed as 23/11/1898. Though 1939 Register suggests he was born 23/11/1899. Farm Labourer. Originally joined army but transferred after 10 days so actually joinedRMLI on 22/2/17, 

Depot at Deal until 6/9/17

RM Brigade ??? Reserve Battn until 3/12/17

1st RM Battn 4/12/17 to date taken POW. British Expeditionary Force (France and Flanders) from 14/12/17.

Recorded as POW until either 3 or 31 Dec 1918.

Portsmouth Division 3/2/19 until discharge.

Appears on RM Medal Roll showing British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Edited by Mark1959

Welcome to the Forum,

His service papers will be found at the National Archives under reference ADM 157/2774/27. These are original documents and haven't been digitized.