Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Vickie

Hoping to Identify What this Photo Would be About

Vickie

I have no idea where to post this query so hopefully I am in the right place.

I have this photo of who I suspect is my father, taken in the UK.  Other photos with it show the name Silver & Edgington - Tower Bridge ? - 1936 on the tepee style tents.  That would be about right as it would put my father at around 13 or 14 years old. 

I found references to the tents being made by this company so that makes sense.  But I can't for the life of me find what my father might have been doing at such a young age.  I wondered if the initials in the corner - WRCS - might mean something to somebody here.

My thoughts lead to like a junior training camp of some sort.

10386.jpg

Edited by Vickie
Added the fact that it was taken in the UK

Barry Russell
5 hours ago, Vickie said:

I have no idea where to post this query so hopefully I am in the right place.

I have this photo of who I suspect is my father, taken in the UK.  Other photos with it show the name Silver & Edgington - Tower Bridge ? - 1936 on the tepee style tents.  That would be about right as it would put my father at around 13 or 14 years old. 

I found references to the tents being made by this company so that makes sense.  But I can't for the life of me find what my father might have been doing at such a young age.  I wondered if the initials in the corner - WRCS - might mean something to somebody here.

My thoughts lead to like a junior training camp of some sort.

10386.jpg

Playing dress up it looks to me, hat looks too big, long shirt tucked into shorts. A Military fair maybe? Or maybe there was a camp near to where he lived and he visited with soldiers? Was his father a Soldier?

Waddell

A quick google shows W.R.G.S O.T.C to Worcester Royal Grammar School Officer Training Corps. Did he go to school there?

Cap badge looks similar to ones in this image below from this site-

https://researchworcestershire.wordpress.com/2015/01/09/worcester-royal-grammar-school-sports-teams/

This is post-war so I expect the mods will close this thread Vickie.

Scott

WRGS.jpg

Edited by Waddell

Michelle Young

As this is outside the remit of the forum, I will close this thread