Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st Lancashire Fusiliers - Gallipoli landings survivors

JOSTURM

I have the medals of Frederick Augustus Leonard No.2222, 1st Lancashire Fusiliers, whose Medal Index Card states his date of entry to war theatre as 16th March 1915 (ie) W Beach landings. His MIC also states the theatre as 'France' but his VB Medal Roll states clearly he was in 1st Battalion. After surviving Gallipoli, at some point he transferred to the Yorkshire Light Infantry no. 46653 and lived a long life as a husband and post office manager, passing aged 77 years in 1972.

Is it strange then, that he does not appear in the survivors photo taken in the mid 1960's with 35 men present and named.

I guess the journey from East London in your sixties would not have been too arduous ?  Is there a real possibility that he would not have been interested ?

With 35 men attending, would there have been more survivors still alive. Is there any other documentary evidence of the survivors that may have included him ?

Alas, I cannot find his service record and am reliant on his MIC. 

As the landings are so celebrated, i am wondering if there is such an expert minutiae of research that can help me establish him as a survivor for sure,

Regards

JOSTURM.

Something odd here ! First troops landed at Gallipoli on 25 April 1915. FALs Medal Index Card shows landed France (code 1) 16 March 1915. Medal Roll shows landed with 1 LF, also on 16 Mar 1915. He has a second unit later and was 46653 Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry but it doesn't show a Battalion on the Roll. He was discharged to Class Z from the last unit on 28 March 1919. May  need some good luck to unravel this.

16th March was the day the 1st Bn embarked at Avonmouth to sail, via Malta, to arrive at Alexandria on the 29th.

Nothing odd. Having landed Alexandria on 29th March, they sailed for Mudros on 10th April and landed on W Beach on 25th April.

I am assuming he returned to France with the 1st LF and was transferred there, but not so bother about that, my focus is his survival in Gallipoli.

Josturm.

The oddness being  a landing at W Beach on 16 March 1915 !

The other oddness a code error in landing place (France - 1 16.3.1915).

my mistake on wording ref 16.3.15 DOE - I meant therefore....W Beach landings, ie he was there.

Agree the France (1) location is odd.

• 1 year later...

Sometimes you seem to get conflicting information from official records, such as medal index cards CWWC records etc. I have a pair to a 1st bn Lancashire Fusiliers K i A  1st day lander.

His M.IC  states that he was killed on 11 .5 .15   but CWWG  has him recorded as 25th April .

I have his official notifications sent from the War Office which   states 11th 5 15, but in a later letter has been amended to the 25th of April.