Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Ole Bill' in northampton, 100 years ago.

MikeyH

This rather murky photo was reproduced in the Christmas 1961 issue of the 'Northampton Independent Magazine'.

It shows what is captioned as a Mark 1 tank on the Market Square in Northampton in Spring 1918. The occasion was a War Savings

Day display, this resulted in the collection of £1642.00.  It also states that a similar tank, was subsequently presented to the Borough

and positioned in the shrubbery mound in Abingdon Park.  Protests against a 'weapon of war' in 'this haven of peace', led to its sale

and break up for scrap.

Mike.

Image (16).jpg

Sold for scrap....how ridiculous.

5 hours ago, ShtLE303 said:

Sold for scrap....how ridiculous.

This fate befell virtually all of the tanks presented to various towns and boroughs (around 265) throughout the U.K.  The only one that survives, in Ashford, Kent was used as an electricity sub station, this ensuring it's existence today as a war memorial.

Mike.

Mike

The photo in your opening post must have been "touched up".  Tank 119 "Old Bill" did visit Northampton between the 25/2/1918 - 2/3/1918 but it was never known as "Ole Bill" and never had this name painted on it.  Also there are 2 surviving presentation tanks.  Along with Ashford, the tank in the Lincolnshire Life Museum was the former Gloucester presentation tank.

Tanks3

1 hour ago, tanks3 said:

Mike

The photo in your opening post must have been "touched up".  Tank 119 "Old Bill" did visit Northampton between the 25/2/1918 - 2/3/1918 but it was never known as "Ole Bill" and never had this name painted on it.  Also there are 2 surviving presentation tanks.  Along with Ashford, the tank in the Lincolnshire Life Museum was the former Gloucester presentation tank.

Tanks3

I should have said in the original location.

Mike.

"and positioned in the shrubbery mound in Abingdon Park."not so,the mound in Abington park comes from the time the welligbro road widend,the tank displayed along with cannon close to where the café is now   Protests against a 'weapon of war' in 'this haven of peace', led to its sale

and break up for scrap.

It's a Mark IV, and although most presentation tanks were Female that this one is a Male doesn't make it terribly unusual.    It's a Foster's built tank, serial 2325 which means it was G22 "Grasshopper" of 6 Section 20 Company G Battalion, first noted at St Julien on 12 August 1917 and later on 22 August handed over to D Battalion after that Battalion had four tanks put out of action shortly before they were due to attack from Belle Vue Farm.  In that action it was lost after problems with its starboard track.  The tank was presented to Northampton in April 1920 and was eventually scrapped in February 1935, though a vote to scrap it was lost at the local Council in March 1928.  The meaning of the number D2 in the circle on the glacis plate isn't known.   tank was used by a Tank Corps School in France, all the Mark IV Males you're ever likely to see are fitted with Lewis guns, this one has a mount for a Hotchkiss in the front of the cab. 

copy of a letter sent to me a while ago

image.png.5157ea904fe2be8c8bc12ede15f9551f.png

Edited by BIFFO

abington tank.jpg

10 hours ago, tanks3 said:

Mike

Tanks3

I'm afraid I'm going to disagree.  This tank was known as "Ole Bill", not "Old Bill".  It was the name used by the Nottingham music hall entertainer Billy Merson.  He spoke to the crowd from the tank when it was at Birmingham, and from that time on the tank was known as "Ole Bill". (Source: Nottingham Evening Post, 23 January 1918, page 1).  Like you though, I have never seen a photo of the tank with the name painted on, but I don't think its been touched up. I think this is a new discovery.

Gwyn

I have just noticed that in the week between Ole Bill's appearance at Coventry, when it wasn't marked, and it's appearance at Northampton, when it seems it was, the tank underwent a week of maintenance. A perfect opportunity for someone with a paintbrush to add the name. Maybe it was to match Julian, which already carried its name in this style and position.

Gwyn