Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Staffordshire Regiment

Tim Gates

I would be grateful to anyone who can tell me where I can find information about the war service of a soldier who served in one of the Staffordshire regiments?

His name was Frederick George Wyke, born May 1899, who lived at Heath Hayes, near Cannock.

Given his place of residence he is most likely ot have served in the South Staffordshire Regiment.

Frederick Wyke survived the war.

Thanks,

Tim

On Ancestry UK I found a George Frederick WYKE with a Medal Index Card and a Medal Roll for 61183 Private 3 Bn North Staffordshire Regiment, moved later to 42320 Private 1/23 Battalion London Regiment (along with many other soldiers from and to the same Battalions ) and also a ref to East Surrey Regiment with the same 42320 number.

At some stage in the war it didn't matter too much where a soldier lived, he was posted where needed. No other papers yet seen for residence etc, this may or may not be your man.

18 minutes ago, Tim Gates said:

Frederick George Wyke

I presume he is son of William Henry and Ellen ?

He seems to appear sometimes as  George Frederick (eg Census 1911, or even just George, Census 1901)

There is only one Medal Index Card that I can see to a George F Wyke, North Staffs Regt 61183 then  23rd London then East Surrey Regt , both 42320. Might be him but needs checking.

Do you know if your man served overseas ?

charlie

edit-  Sotonmate at least confirms that this soldier is Geo Fredk.

Edited by charlie962

Thanks, Charlie

At present I don't know if GF Wyke served overseas but I will enquire.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of what may be his Medal Index Card.

I will come back to you if I get more information.

Tim