Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sgt R Beveridge MM & Bar

Gareth Davies

Sgt R Beveridge was awarded an MM for his actions on 25 Apr 18 while serving with 13th Bn Tank Corps.  He already had an MM from his time before he joined the tanks.  Can someone please tell ne which Regt he was in and when the action that led to the award of his initial MM took place?

Edited by Gareth Davies

What's his Tank Corps number? This came up (Richard) - without the MM on the MIC..

Name:R Beveridge

Military Year:1914-1915

Medal Awarded:1914-15 Star

Regiment or Corps:Royal Tank Corps

Regimental Number:205019

Previous Units:9th R.F.A. 195 Cpl

Mike

Yes, that's him, 205019.  

#195 Sergeant Richard Beveridge was awarded his initial MM whilst serving with 9th Battery Motor Machine Gun Corps, the award was promulgated in London Gazette dated 27th October 1916.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

Gareth

@david murdoch may be able to tell you more.  Although I think he is away from his material and has limited connectivity at present.

I have a feeling that 9th MMG Bty was one of those which transferred large numbers of its members to Heavy Branch at the end of 1916.  I think it was originally 12 Div's battery, but then switched to the ANZAC Corps.

Regards, Paul

Beveridge has a reasonable set of service records available on FindmyPast (and presumably on Ancestry too) but although the London Gazette dates are shown for his MM & Bar there are, as far as I can see, no clues as to what the action was that warranted the award.

Steve

Reg no 195 Corporal R Beveridge appears in the nominal roll for 9th Battery MMGC as written by Major A B Tawse on the 29th May 1915. The nominal roll is the first page of the 9th Battery's War Diary. On that day they left North Camp, Aldershot, at 7.00 am got to Southampton at 11.30 am, boarded HMTS Archimedes, and departed for France at 7.30 pm. They disembarked at Le Harve the next morning.

The battery was disbanded in November 1916. Of the approximately 80 men listed on the nominal roll I have identified at least 20 who transferred to the Heavy Branch and who were allocated regimental numbers in the 20xxxx series. I will try and find time to read through the war diary at the weekend to see if the action when the MM was awarded is identified.

INW

Edited by INW
corrected date / time of arrival in France

The Gazettes around October and November 1916, as well as containing Somme awards, do also include a good percentage of catching up of awards from 1914, 1915 and early 1916. In a lot of the cases men had already been awarded an MID and/or a Divisional Parchment for the same action.

Steve.

I have read through the 9th M.M.G.B. war diary this evening and I have found the following entries written by Major A B Tawse.

19 6 1916

Received the following wire, 9th M.M.G.B. will move tomorrow via Lilliers to Blaringhem reporting to 5th A.N.Z.A.C. Division.

24 6 1916

Have recommended the following for the Military Medal. Sergeants Whittaker, Brown and Beveridge. Corporals Hardy, Honey and Gully.

30 6 1916

We are attached to the 5th Australian division of the 2nd A.N.Z.A.C Corps. No recommendations for Military Medals have been sent in as the necessary forms have not come to hand.

Was there a tradition of allowing a regiment's commander to make recommendations for MM's when his unit moved from one division to another?

Perhaps in this case they were awarded for consistently good work rather than for a particular incidents of heroism.

INW

Thank you.

Sgt Beveridge was awarded his second MM for his actions 100 years today. 

On 23/04/2018 at 22:21, INW said:

Reg no 195 Corporal R Beveridge appears in the nominal roll for 9th Battery MMGC as written by Major A B Tawse on the 29th May 1915. The nominal roll is the first page of the 9th Battery's War Diary.

I believe at least a couple of the MMG batteries did this [include a nominal role, and sometimes reference to a founding order] on the front pages of their War Diary.  Sadly not the case for my grandfather's unit 22 MMG Bty, and it's War Diary for 3rd Afghan War.

Regards, Paul

I have read the 9th Battery MMGS war diary for the period Jan 1916 to June 1916. During this period the battery were part of 12th Division and located in the area of Bethune. This Division held 7,000 yards of the front line to the east of Bethune. This sector included the notorious Hoenzollern Redoubt. The Battery were often building and manning machine gun emplacements in the front line. Often these were destroyed by shelling but they seemed to have suffered very few casualties.

The places mentioned in the diary include, The Village Line, Cambrin, Cunichy, Gitchard Redoubt, Orchard Redoubt and Brookwood Street. I am struggling to find the right trench map for these places on the National Library for Scotland website. Can anyone offer advice?

They did practice manoeuvres with the motor cycles and trucks but with this section of front line in a stable stalemate the ability of the battery to move quickly was not put into effect.

Regards

INW

Not sure this is the same place, but...

In the "History of the 8th North Staffords" there's a small hand-drawn map of the "Orchard Salient" which includes the Orchard Support Trench, Piccadilly Circus and Aston Villa.  The Rue de Cailloux is also shown.  If this is the same area it might help pin down the location, which apparently was known as Canadian Orchard because of the cost to the Canadians in taking it in May 1915, the front line being from Festubert to Richebourg L'Avoue.

Here's a Trench map from Dec 1917 with some of the places mentioned above - for instance, Canadian Orchard is in Square 28

Mike

Thanks for the tench map reference. I am finding the places referenced in the war diary now.

INW

Edited by INW