Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vlaamse Verhalen

As with many of the requests for information, in this part of the forum, the following comes as the result of research into one of the local war memorials....although with a slight difference.

Francis Foster Gotts' name doesn't actually appear on the memorial within Mundesley church, although that of his brother - Bertie George Gotts (R.G.A.) - does.

I became aware of the fact that Francis may well have been a "non-com" case when I realised that his name does appear in the 'Norfolk Roll of Honour (1914-18)', published in 1920.

Having discovered this, some research into his background shows he was born in Mundesley, during the third quarter of 1886, son of Marshall & Caroline Gotts. Resident in Mundesley for the census entries covering 1891, 1901 & 1911, his occupation by the latter date stated as fisherman. His death is also recorded, for the second quarter of 1918, within the Maldon registration district, Essex.

Given his civilian occupation & location of death, I'd actually come to the conclusion that he may have died at sea. However, some new information came to light during the past couple of days, by way of a contemporary, handwritten 'Roll of the Fallen', hidden away in parish records, which states:

Francis Foster Gotts - Essex Labour Battalion

Frustratingly, the unit information for the other twenty-or-so names listed is far more definitive & accurate; hence the reason for my post.

Is anybody able to add any snippet of information to add to what's known about Francis? I'm fairly sure that he didn't serve overseas: a printed Roll of Honour for 1915, listing all men of the parish who were serving at that time, doesn't list his name, and he has no medal index card (to my knowledge). My hunch, based on previous, similar cases, is that Francis died, post-discharge.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Steve

Edited by Vlaamse Verhalen

I will try to have a look once my ancestry problems are sorted out.

Cheers

Chris

Many thanks, Chris.

Here's the list of The Fallen from the parish, which recently came to light. Judging by the introduction, I'm assuming it's from a contemporary Remembrance or Peace Day service, at the church.

Best wishes

Steve

IMG_6848.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but I can find nothing on ancestry or FMP with regard to his military service.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/05/2018 at 13:36, chrisharley9 said:

Sorry but I can find nothing on ancestry or FMP with regard to his military service.

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to check, Chris.....much appreciated.

I've put this one onto the "back burner", for now, but will endeavour to see what other background I can find, next time I'm at the NRO.

Best wishes

Steve

• 1 year later...

There are two pension cards on Fold3, each with the details of both brothers. Francis Foster Gotts was Pte 251481 Essex Regiment. Can't see anything useful with regards to discharge or death though.

Hmmm? One of my 3rd great aunts married into a Gotts family in the Aylsham area (about 10 miles away) of Norfolk in the 1860's. I wonder if related?

• 4 months later...

Many thanks for the later input regarding this; it's very much appreciated.

I now know that Francis Foster Gotts passed away on 21st January 1918, at King Street, Maldon, due to "pleuro pneumonia (six days)".

His service appears to have been with the 2/5th Essex regiment, but I'm still yet to discover any details regarding his discharge.

Somewhat intriguingly, the excerpt below, from one of the three pension record cards, appears to state that he was still serving (the 2/5th disbanded a couple of months after his passing). The dates & causes of his & his brother's deaths are transposed, however. On his death certificate, his profession is given as "labourer on a timber wharf". Would this possibly have been a task related to his service with a "labour battalion"?

FFGotts.jpg

Looks like you have already found this but,  no 251481 was within the range allocated to 5th Battalion Essex Regiment in the TF renumbering of early 1917.

250001-275000 5 Bn Essex Regt

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/renumbering-of-the-territorial-force-in-1917/renumbering-the-tf-infantry-in-1917/

If a death happened in the UK (also in WW2) very often the registrar gave the civilian occupation as well if the soldier was wartime service only.

Edited by travers61