Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Statues to WW1 Military Chiefs

Dust Jacket Collector

Walking down Whitehall yesterday, on the way to the excellent Cabinet War Rooms, I was struck by the disparity between the number of statues to the military leaders of the two world wars. Outside the MOD are monuments to Generals Slim, Alanbrooke & Monty. Elsewhere ones to Trenchard & Portal and down the Strand, Dowding & Bomber Harris. But aside from Haig trotting down the road towards the Cenotaph I’m not aware of any others. Even leaders from the numerous Victorian and earlier wars get prominent memorials around town. Was it decided that Haig would represent them all or are there others, if not in the capital then elsewhere?

There are busts of Jellicoe and Beatty (and Cunningham from WW2) in Trafalgar Square, and a statue of Foch outside Victoria Station.

Ron

3 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

There are busts of Jellicoe and Beatty (and Cunningham from WW2) in Trafalgar Square, and a statue of Foch outside Victoria Station.

Ron

Thanks Ron. I’ve never noticed the first two but I’d forgotten the Foch.

4 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Thanks Ron. I’ve never noticed the first two but I’d forgotten the Foch.

If you stand with your back to Nelson's Column, facing the National Gallery, they are about half-way down the left hand side, near the standard yard marking.

Ron

The only one I can think of in Edinburgh is the mounted one of Haig which was moved from the Castle Esplanade into the castle itself a few years ago.

I believe that there is a (standing) statue of Haig in Bristol.

Ron