Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

10410.Pte.John Cooper 1st H.L.I. killed 21st March 1915

STEVENG

Hi Steven. Had a look through the HLI Chronicles and it gives some information. You should be able to find a bit more from his medal index card and roll etc

Enlisted January, 1907.

Name appears on nominal roll of a draft that embarked on S.S. Plassy for 1st Battalion, October 1910.

Awarded Assistant Armourer's Certificate, 13/2/1913

Mike

Steve,

best to add what you already know, have you tried Ancestry, FMP,FWR etc?

entitled to a 14/15 star trio, entered theatre 30/11/14 into F&F.

born and resided in Chesterfield. Enlisted in Dover so got around a bit.

1st Btn H.L.I

Buried at VIEILLE-CHAPELLE NEW MILITARY CEMETERY, LACOUTURE

looks like he was originally buried elsewhere and exhumed

body found at map reference 36.M.31.A.2.5  identified by cross on grave.

This being early in the war it's difficult to find any helpful trench maps but this convertor shows where his body was originally buried (50.5896, 2.7258).

You may notice that the 'co-ordinates string' in the box is different from 36.M.31.A.2.5 - this is because square 31 is shared by square 36 as in this McMasters map from 1917

Mike

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 10.50.10.png

Edited by Langdon

Thanks for the info

I see he enlisted in 1907 and embarked on S.S.Plassy.

But he got a 14/15  trio.

Just to clear up He was a pre war regular so i guess the 1st Battalion were somewhere else prior to WW1 starting.

I would appriciate any help 

Steven

From The Long, Long Trail:

1st Battalion
August 1914 : in Ambala, India. Part of the Sirhind Brigade in the 3rd (Lahore) Division.
Moved to France via Egypt, landing at Marseilles 1 December 1914 (some weeks after the other Brigades of the Division).

Mike

Among 11 ORs of D Company who were killed instantly by 3 HE shells landing in their billeting area at RICHEBOURG-ST-VAAST, this of 29 casualties in all from the 3 shells.

War Diary is a composite one covering the units of Sirhind Brigade, and ref WO95/3929/1 on NAs Discovery database. Also on Ancestry UK where the entry is shown on page 35.

Hi Steve,

His Soldiers Effects record names a sole legatee ( - his widow, 'Margaret Hay'). The use of that term should mean that there was a will. Searching the CWGC database using just the 10410 number as a search term, you only get one Cooper - your man. That makes me think that it is possible that his will is here, albeit that the wrong month is shown. My guess is that there would be an address for his widow.

Regards

Chris