Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private 2141 Enock Roberts – 2nd South African Horse

KONDOA

Chums,

I have posted this here for a couple of reasons.First, someone may be looking for an ancestor so this will make it easy to find.

Secondly, I think it is extremely rare where one can see an original burial and then know the current grave location today. This is Private Roberts being buried at Kahe in German East Africa. Today he is buried in Moshi Cemetery a few miles to the north.

Roop

5ad9c4f7685bf_IMGRGA_0030.jpg.e6bbeb7485690cd2016e87d98e66f0d3.jpg

Yes, once i found where it was I immediately recognized it.

My next work assignment is south of Beersheba which will be a pleasant change from the Philippines.

Something to keep me interested.

Roop

An evocative photograph in which the seriousness and sadness of the occasion are apparent from the attitude of the men. Induces one to pause for a moment of respect and empathy.  Very useful as a rare example of the campaign dress of SA Horse. Under magnification I note rolled sleeves, long sleeves and torn three-quarter. Trousers tucked into puttees rather than shorts.  Interesting to see several men wearing bandoleers round the waist,  rather than over a shoulder. Very useful to me since I plan to paint 60 10mm wargames figures to depict SA Horse units in East Africa. Thanks so much for posting!