Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Diaries of Johnston L Preston - 15th (Service) Battalion (1st Birkenhead) Cheshire Regiment

Rohanm

Excellent work Mike, seems we have our man, particularly with that reference to 'Lincluden', Hoylake and Jessie. If you would be available to go to the IWM and pull a couple of pages from the archive for comparrison with the copy here in Ireland that would be super. 

11 hours ago, helpjpl said:

1911 Census:

Harrison Johnston (30) Grain Broker born Birkenhead living at 46 Prussia Road, Hoylake, Cheshire, with -

wife Gertrude Jessie Johnston (26) born Singapore

son Harold Erskine Johnston (2) born Hoylake

+ 2 servants

National Probate Calendar, 1945:

JOHNSTON Harrison DSO of 46 Queen's-road Hoylake Cheshire died 9 June 1945 Probate Liverpool 28 August to Harold Erskine Johnston lieutenant colonel H.M. army Derek Harrison Johnston major H.M. army  and Hugh Rupert Granger corn merchant. Effects 11814 3s 9d. Resworn 13359 19s 2d.

JP

Excellent work - it seems we have our man - Lt. Col. Harrison Johnston. Contemplating typing these volumes up into an electronic document, pdf for online circulation. I wonder whether i'd be in breach of any regulations were I to distribute the finished copy? 

I can't comment on copyright issues, but if you do decide to digitise these volumes, you could photograph the pages, (or type them up if you want to},  make a pdf  and then upload to the Internet Archive.

See my  GWF post  Upload your transcriptions to Archive.org (Internet Archive)

In particular, the most recent post, post 5, on 14 April 2018.

Cheers

Maureen