Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Foster Griggs 92742 Tank Corp (5th) or 15th

arantxa

Hello

im trying to find info about Foster Griggs  he transferred from Essex Regt to tank Corps some records say 5th  but index on wound badge  says 15/tank  can some one who is knowledgeable let me know

thanks

thank you..that does make sense  so 5th would be E  battalion ..may be he transferred because he was good with engines  or something.....

4 hours ago, arantxa said:

may be he transferred because he was good with engines  or something..

He was a farm labourer in 1911 so probably not that . More likely extra pay ?

I didn't know they got paid more

He was admitted to hospital in Le Havre in Feb 1916 for “dilation of heart”. Then put on Hospital Ship so assume sent back to UK. Says 1 year in service, 3 months in theatre. Then with A Company, 9th Essex.

So would he have gone in the tank corp after I looked at his serial number and he's two digits after an Essex chap who went into the tank regt in 30/01/1917 then he was given a tank wound badge  so the year in service three months would that have been for all his service or just the service with Essex as he's got a 15 star

thanks

How do you find out about hospital ships etc ?

Hospital Record of 2 General Hospital, Quai d’Escales, Le Havre. There from 17/2 to 2/3 1916. Under his Essex number 19155. Notes says Hospital Ship St. David so assume that is where he went next. My post should have read dilatation not dilation of heart. On FWR