Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RFA at Landrecies with 3Bn Coldstreams 25/26 Aug 1914

battiscombe

I have seen mention of some RFA with the Gds rearguard at Landrecies 25/26 Aug 1914. The 3/Coldstreams diary report on Landrecies suggests a section of Howitzers and another section [18pdrs?] 'at the railway level crossing'. The former looks likely to be from 47th Bty (44th Bde RFA), from 44Bde diary, but the other RFA section is less clear. I have seen some postwar newspaper letters from a Gnr Jackson that claimed this was a detached section of 71st Battery - possibly with Capt Cree and 2Lt Chaworth Musters, but this is not evident from their [36th Bde RFA] war diary or Divisional CRA.. Do any experts familiar with relevant Infantry Bde and maybe other Gds Battalion diaries on the engagement have any additional information on who the RFA were? any suggestions welcome. I had originally presumed Jackson was mis-remembering the retreat but now wonder if his account was indeed correct ..

Not a lot of help, but the war diary of the Grenadier Guards has a sketch map showing one R.F.A. gun firing to the south-west along the line of the railway. Also, two guns (not identified) firing along the road to the north-west. Haig's diary for 25th August says: "I ordered barricades at once, two guns in each.

Ian

If you look at the history of the 2nd Division on the 'Long, Long Trail', it gives details of the divisional artillery, RFA and RGA.

thanks - i will purchase the other Gds diaries - some further checking shows the  howitzers in fact seem to have been a section under Lt Willcocks of 60th Bty - who destroyed a German gun firing on 3/Coldstreams position. ..

9th Battery and a section of 17th (XLI Bde.) also came into action. 

• 2 years later...

Probably outdated information now. From the Guards war Diaries and the 44th RFA Bde. The CO of the Coldstreams had a gun from 60th Battery hand wheeled up the street. It fired three rounds at the German field gun, knocking it out. The other RFA batteries stood to at their post near the barricades but were not brought into action. The official history implies that the 'affair at Landracies' was over exaggerated by all who served there. Clearly written by someone who was not at the sharp end that day.