Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Lament of the Horseless Yeomen

Gareth Davies

I guess not.  

Sadly not - but it's a great verse.  Although describing a bicycle as a "steel charger" might be stretching the point.

You could try contacting the Norfolk Records Office to see if the can help identify the location or even the paper in which the article appeared.  Or putting the photo on here and seeing if anyone recognises the location.

no info im afraid, but a cracking little find. Thanks

Let's not despair... the day's still young! 

I hope somehow has more info on the grave... as a rider, I deeply feel with these men. Having your horse (even your "work" horse) taken away is one of the worst things that can happen to a rider! 

Marilyne

I've seen a similar photo in a book, but can't for the life of me remember which and where :(

The 2/1st Norfolk Yeomanry moved to Wivenhoe, Essex in March 1916 and converted to a cyclist unit in July that year.  

• 1 month later...

A similar headstone was created at RumgallyFarn near Cupar in Fife Entitled A Memorial to Spurs. The unit 2nd Westmorland & Cumberland Yeomanry. They were dismounted and they became ae cycle battalion. "In Better by far a Cumberland Hussar" by Colin Bardgett page 76. (published 2001 - Hayloft Publishing