Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German Offensive 1918

hazelclark

I am looking for anything that may have been written about the March Offensive around Cambrai in 1918. I thought that Jack Sheldon had written something about that period but can’t find anything.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Hazel C.

You may already know EDMONDS, J. E. et al., 1935: Military Operations France and Belgium, 1918. (Editor:) Imperial War Museum  Battery Press. London.

19 minutes ago, HenryTheGerman said:

You may already know EDMONDS, J. E. et al., 1935: Military Operations France and Belgium, 1918. (Editor:) Imperial War Museum  Battery Press. London.

Actually I didn’t Henry.

Will look for it now.

Thanks,

H

Hi Hazel

I would suggest looking at the 51st Highland Division Chronicles online, a book called See How They Ran (The British Retreat of 1918) by William Moore. Also the History of the 2nd Division by Everard Wyrall gives some good accounts of that period.What part of the front and area are you interested in? If you PM me I have some other sources of information for the First Battle of Bapaume. I look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards

Andy

1 hour ago, HenryTheGerman said:

You need Volume I - there are five covering 1918!

Ron

Thanks Ron and Andy. I am wondering if in fact I don’t have that series on my Kindle. Will check!

What I missed from the original post was that I was wondering about the German perspective when I mentioned Jack Sheldon.

I have two relatives died on the old Battle Fields on the Somme.  One was wounded in the Battle for Hangard Wood in late April, was picked up by the Germans and died a few days later in Lazaret Hospice Generale in Cambrai. He was with the Queen  Victoria Rifles.

The other was wounded somewhere around Ayette on August 27th and died in CC#19 in Frevent on the 29th.  He was with the first Gordon’s.

Will send P.M.  Andy.

Hazel C

2 hours ago, andrew pugh said:

Hi Hazel

I would suggest looking at the 51st Highland Division Chronicles online, a book called See How They Ran (The British Retreat of 1918) by William Moore. Also the History of the 2nd Division by Everard Wyrall gives some good accounts of that period.What part of the front and area are you interested in? If you PM me I have some other sources of information for the First Battle of Bapaume. I look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards

Andy

Edited by hazelclark
Some info. Missed out!

III Corps, Hazel I have sent you the Corps Diaries. This Corps is of great interest for me also as it contained the 14th Division at this time.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853