Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Bundock 88606 Royal Welsh Fusiliers

SWMDgen

Greetings all, I'm seeking assistance in identifying when my twin great uncles enlisted, and confirmation that it was the 2nd Battalion Royal Welsh Fusilier's to which they were assigned from the Infantry Base Depot. And where they might have served.  I think they might have been conscripts but to date I only have Medal Roll Cards with the following info: 

Emrys BUNDOCK Pte. 88606  and  

Phenandus BUNDOCK Pte. 88595, Infantry Base Depot, 2/R.W.Fus (Royal Welsh (Welch) Fusiliers)

Any suggestions as to where else I might look to find info would be most appreciated.

Thank you, John Bundock

John has asked me to post this for him until he can organise his own access- we are both very hopeful  that someone will be able to direct us to some useful resources.

Kind regards

Sorry Sam I should have stressed- there are no Service Records- just the single medal  card for each of them  - so not dates, no clarity abt were  they went or when as you know we need to tie down the Battalion to even get a sketch of  what they might have been up to

Cheers

Their Medal Rolls show both served overseas with 2nd Bn.

I have Emrys at 30 Ceridwen Street, Mardy Polling District (Rhondda East Absent Voters). He is on War Office RWF wounded list dated 25 11 1918. This is the list date not wounding date. It's general deemed that there was 4 to 6 weeks from event to list publication.

I haven't pick up anything on Phenandus.

I make the numbers as allocated early May 1918.

There are papers for Elias Holley 88612  (from Ystrad, Rhondda) also 2nd Bn overseas. It'd be a fair assumption that their call up/training/posting mirrored his.

Ancestry =    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=ErC9&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&db=BritishArmyService&gss=angs-d&new=1&rank=1&msT=1&MS_AdvCB=1&gsfn=elias&gsfn_x=1&gsln=holley&gsln_x=1&MSAV=2&uidh=a63&pcat=39&fh=0&h=954559&recoff=&ml_rpos=1

Thank you for that Hywyn I'll follow these up- sounds like he was very unlucky to be wounded so late in the piece after a late callup.  I'll attach any info I come up with  as you seem to be interested in the RWF

Cheers

Greetings Hywyn, Further to the above I've checked the medal roll and will start looking around at the SNs numbers assigned around the Bundocks as you suggest.  However, I haven't found a SWB which may suggest Emrys wound was not too critical.  Can you pls clarify where you managed to find this entry for the RWF wounded list- is it  accessible online or would I need  to schedule a visit to view? 

Kind regards 

Some years ago I accessed the War Office Weekly Casualty lists at the British Library, Collinwood and extracted RWF lists from them. I seem to think that there has been quite a bit of reorganisation going on since then and they are elsewhere in the British Library sytem now. I don't think there are any at Kew but am not 100% on this. There are some on a genealogical paysite called The Genealogist but when I last looked they only had them to around April 1918.

There are some on the genealogical paysite FindMy Past including November 1918. It is searchable , i.e for results but not to see the actual list, whilst not logged in. The link I provide is for a search on Bundock but it looks as if its OCR (or whatever it's called) has not picked up yours.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search/british-newspapers?newspaper=weekly casualty list (war office utf0026 air ministry )&keywords=bundock

Searching for 88606 only brings up one result (not yours)

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search/british-newspapers?newspaper=weekly casualty list (war office utf0026 air ministry )&keywords=88606

The info you get is Surname/Number/Initials/Placename (of declaredNext of Kin) If you really wanted to see the list for some other reason then the only thing I can suggest at the moment is to access the last link above and then page forward until you come to 25th November and then drill down to the RWF list(s)  within that date.

For info the publication of casualty list go something like this.

Aug 1914 to around July/Aug 1917..... list are to be found in The Times (Regional/local papers published partial ones for their areas)

July/Aug 1917 to mid 1919....War Office Weekly Casualty  Lists were published which were a weekly compilation of Daily Casualty Lists. The date I provided  for Emrys above (25 11 1918) is the Daily List date and not the Weekly List date. The date on those results I provided above in this post are the Weekly dates not the Daily date.

Thank you for that Hywyn I'll see what I can track down- its always good to find another source to explore.  And my apologies for the late response..... family dramas ... very distracting .. I need a little sane diverting now!!!!!