Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RFC Officer's Puttees etc.

Biggles

Morning Lads,

I'm off to a WWI Airshow this Saturday, and I'm going as an RFC Observer in Salonika.  I have been given a set of puttees to borrow, but I found out they are AIF 1942, and are way to short to go all the way up my leg!  Just for clarification, as I do not have time to get some other puttees, do RFC pilots sometimes tuck their breeches into long socks, or just wear straight leg trousers in Salonika?  Any suggestions on what I could do for this reenactment?  

Thanks in advance.

Cheerio,

Caleb

16 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Looks like the other option is shorts and long socks  https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205124943

David

Thanks, but usually they wore puttees with their shorts.  Long socks were worn in WWII, though.

Cheers,

Caleb

Edited by Biggles

I'm going for the breeches tucked into long wool socks.  There are heaps of photos that confirm this.

In the photo below the officer holding the dog is wearing socks instead of puttees, why exactly did they do this?

Cheerio,

Caleb

22 sqn RFC. Pilots and Observers with an F2b..jpg

16 hours ago, Biggles said:

I'm going for the breeches tucked into long wool socks.  There are heaps of photos that confirm this.

In the photo below the officer holding the dog is wearing socks instead of puttees, why exactly did they do this?

Cheerio,

Caleb

Surely socks must have been far easier to simply pull on, rather than go through the rigmarole of having to wind yards of material round ones legs. 

Thanks Gentlemen.  It should be a good weekend.  And yes, Pete, I surely understand their frustration with puttees!

Cheers,

Caleb

On 19/04/2018 at 07:38, Biggles said:

In the photo below the officer holding the dog is wearing socks instead of puttees,

I think it more likely that he is wearing puttees which have a top. Not too sure how this worked, but the following photograph, which is c 1930s illustrates the sort of thing I mean.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/runninginsuffolk/23639390382/in/album-72157660779215281/

Cheers

Maureen

Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 11.53.45 am.png

You could be right, but it looks like socks to me.  Here is another illustration to confirm my appearance.  The Observer has long wool socks instead of puttees!

Cheers,

Caleb

12029222_10206453381067124_611864662_n_zpsnlh2khav.jpg

Dear  Biggles    it seems as if you wear socks with your uniform it will be obligitary  to carry a Jack Russell  under your arm. That's the evidence from two of the above illustrations !

Haha, good one Major Nils.  Will my cat pass?

Biggles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply on this, but some notes of mine I knew were relevant to this have only recently emerged from where they had been hidden.

Flight Magazine on April 4th 1918 published some details on the uniform of the then newly formed RAF. Some of these are brand new, others I believe simply repeating established practice. Under "Service Dress During the War - Officers" is listed the following:

"Footgear.-With breeches-brown field boots or brown boots with puttees or gaiters or brown stockings with shoes for aerodrome and similar wear. With trousers-brown boots or shoes with brown socks."

Edited by Andrew Upton

On 07/06/2018 at 10:42, Andrew Upton said:

Sorry for the late reply on this, but some notes of mine I knew were relevant to this have only recently emerged from where they had been hidden.

Flight Magazine on April 4th 1918 published some details on the uniform of the then newly formed RAF. Some of these are brand new, others I believe simply repeating established practice. Under "Service Dress During the War - Officers" is listed the following:

"Footgear.-With breeches-brown field boots or brown boots with puttees or gaiters or brown stockings with shoes for aerodrome and similar wear. With trousers-brown boots or shoes with brown socks."

G'day Andrew,

No worries about it being late!  It all helps for future reference.  Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Caleb

On 18/04/2018 at 08:34, Biggles said:

Morning Lads,

I'm off to a WWI Airshow this Saturday, and I'm going as an RFC Observer in Salonika.  I have been given a set of puttees to borrow, but I found out they are AIF 1942, and are way to short to go all the way up my leg!  Just for clarification, as I do not have time to get some other puttees, do RFC pilots sometimes tuck their breeches into long socks, or just wear straight leg trousers in Salonika?  Any suggestions on what I could do for this reenactment?  

Thanks in advance.

Cheerio,

Caleb

Any photo's to share of the event??

Rob

1 hour ago, Robert Rytir said:

Any photo's to share of the event??

Rob

Here are some.  There are some better ones of me sitting in the gunner's cockpit of the Bristol F2.b, but they are not on the computer yet.

My younger brother is dressed as 2TAF in 1944.

Cheers,

Caleb

PS.  Funny, I ended up wearing straight leg trousers!  I'll do the socks next time :)

100_3653.jpg

100_3655.jpg

100_3662.jpg

100_3664.jpg

100_3659.jpg

Edited by Biggles

Straight leg trousers should be okay. I have seen pictures of RFC, RNAS and RAF officers wearing them. Also Salonika is a long way from home so an officer wearing them in the summer time shouldn't be a problem.

Hi I know I missed this discussion but here is my Grandad in his uniform of an Observor wearing puttees with his uniform. You can read about him in this forum W.I.Crawford    

grandad.jpg

Thanks James.  Straight leg is way more comfortable!  Thanks Dorothy for your great photo.  It's a wonderful uniform shot.  Was he Artillery or Engineers before joining the RFC, because that's not an RFC cap badge.

Cheers,

Caleb

How odd Caleb as I was always told that this photo was when he was working with the Italians? He was in the Kings Royal Rifles before the RFC and there were photos of him on a horse but they got lost as so many do when Grandparents died.

This is the cap badge of the Kings Royal Rifles.  This is not what is on his cap.  Someone else with more knowledge on the subject may be able to assist you with identifying the cap badge.  It looks like Engineers or Artillery to me.  He doesn't have any regimental collar badges either.  Where was the photo taken?

Cheers,

Caleb

download.jpg

2 hours ago, Biggles said:

This is the cap badge of the Kings Royal Rifles.  This is not what is on his cap.  Someone else with more knowledge on the subject may be able to assist you with identifying the cap badge.  It looks like Engineers or Artillery to me.  He doesn't have any regimental collar badges either.  Where was the photo taken?

Cheers,

Caleb

download.jpg

That is the OR's badge for the KRRC - officers wore a cord boss instead, which is what is shown in the photo. No collar badges is normal as well. See:

Image result for krrc rifles officers badge

Image result for krrc rifles officers badge

If you go on the KRR site you will see that collar badges were not part of the uniform. I have no idea where the photo was taken. But given he was shot down as an Observor when he was 23 someone may know?

On 23/12/2017 at 14:56, durham dave said:

what is the triplane in 61

thanks Dave

It's a Caproni Ca. 52, a variant of the Ca. 42 series, six of which [N526 - N531] were built for the RNAS/RAF and flown by No 227 Squadron over the Adriatic. 

This entry is on the GWF page which features Capt Audobon Palfreyman who was the pilot of the plane my Grandfather 2nd LT W.I.Crawford  was shot down in. It follows on from the story I was told that he worked with Italians as these aircraft flew over the Adriatic  maybe someone knows where the photo was taken?