Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Shrapnel Shells

drumbobs72

Hi all, 

A little info on these Somme found (Shrapnel) shell projectiles please?? British? German? Size? I think the 2 smaller ones (same size) are British 18 pounders?? The larger one not sure, its nearly 4" in diameter.? 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Cheers...

DSC00977.JPG

DSC00979.JPG

DSC00980.JPG

DSC00981.JPG

May I ask where you got them from please?

Hm, I don't like the German one...

14 minutes ago, drumbobs72 said:

Why do you ask please Gareth? 

Because when I see shells in that condition I worry that someone might have simply taken them out of a field in France, shoved them in a car, and taken them home without knowing whether they are safe or not. 

Hard to judge really, the two on the right could be 18 pounders, just don't cut yourself with them and you'l be ok;)

Regards

Gerwyn

16 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

Because when I see shells in that condition I worry that someone might have simply taken them out of a field in France, shoved them in a car, and taken them home without knowing whether they are safe or not. 

I appreciate your concern Gareth, these are just rust buckets. Completely empty of anything, right to the bottom and told they are inert..I cant see how they could be not safe..But am I being Naive??

Did you get them from a field in France?

Edited by Gareth Davies

6 minutes ago, pioneecorps said:

Hard to judge really, the two on the right could be 18 pounders, just don't cut yourself with them and you'l be ok;)

Regards

Gerwyn

Thanks Gerwyn, I think they are all British (thick drive bands) and the larger one is a 60 pounder..

Just now, Gareth Davies said:

Did you get from a field in France?

Well I presume they originally did? that's what I was told..Do you have concerns?? 

I always err on the side of caution.

1 minute ago, Gareth Davies said:

I always err on the side of caution.

Well I appreciate it Gareth, I'm pretty sure they are fine. I've looked at lots of forums/info and youtube videos regarding inert WW1 Artillery rounds, from collectors, enthusiasts etc..

The larger one looks German to me...

Just now, drumbobs72 said:

Well I appreciate it Gareth, I'm pretty sure they are fine. I've looked at lots of forums/info and youtube videos regarding inert WW1 Artillery rounds, from collectors, enthusiasts etc..

I'm sorry, but that's not enough.

3 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

The larger one looks German to me...

I'm sorry, but that's not enough.

There is no base charge, its completely empty below the internal base charge rim, just the thickness of the shell base ...!

Ignore Gareth; he's just a worrier.

EOD is a piece of pee.  If they look rusty just give em a kick then chuck them in the boot. Cushty!

Yours

Mr C Darwin

:D

On 17/04/2018 at 19:31, drumbobs72 said:

Thanks Gerwyn, I think they are all British (thick drive bands) and the larger one is a 60 pounder..

Well I presume they originally did? that's what I was told..Do you have concerns?? 

No concerns drumbobs been doing it for many years myself, I have a inert 60 pounder, shell top with timing fuse in excellent condition.

Regards

Gerwyn

60 POUNDER 1.JPG

60 POUNDER 2.JPG

60 POUNDER 3.JPG

Edited by pioneecorps

The large one I don't think is a 60pdr, hard to tell but it looks to me like a German 10cm or 105mm shell with a late economy drive band. The diameter should be the giveaway, a 60pdr is approx 12cm. 

8 hours ago, ServiceRumDiluted said:

The large one I don't think is a 60pdr, hard to tell but it looks to me like a German 10cm or 105mm shell with a late economy drive band. The diameter should be the giveaway, a 60pdr is approx 12cm. 

Which I have been saying before.

5 hours ago, AOK4 said:

Which I have been saying before.

I think you are right AOK4, apologies..! 

17 hours ago, pioneecorps said:

No concerns drumbobs been doing it for many years myself, I have a inert 60 pounder, shell top with timing fuse in excellent condition.

Regards

Gerwyn

60 POUNDER 1.JPG

60 POUNDER 2.JPG

60 POUNDER 3.JPG

Nice!!!!! 

14 hours ago, ServiceRumDiluted said:

No I do not think it is!! It had loads of rust, looked bigger!! I think its German as you and AOK4 quite rightly state...Its currently soaking in Brick Cleaner and coming up quite nicely! Its around 10cm D, its definitely not 12cm or more..Its about 20cm in height..