Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Understanding German Feldpost numbers

Can you tell me please how to trace a German Fieldpost number, I have the card  May 1915 with Russia as the only location. See attachment

It would be great if someone can tell me where to look and perhaps find out the unit history.

Thanks

axis1.jpg

Does your feldpost have a regiment stamp?

36 minutes ago, bertie47 said:

Hi Jools,

No, what you see is what you get,  the card starts Russia and as you see the cancel that's it.

Cheers

bertie47

From memory Stab means General staff. So Guessing it means the General staff of Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 151 

http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/IR_151

The regiment was under 37 Infanterie-Division 

http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/37._Division_(Alte_Armee)

Edited by Jools mckenna

Sorry, just fixing a rather large mistake. 

Anyway your man would have been taking place in (or looking at the fights from afar) positional fights between Orzye an Szkwa (16.3-12.7.1915)

Hi,

the square stamp is the formation/unit stamp. The round stamp is the actual mark of the fieldpost station. Usually the unit stamp often has the abbreviation SB (Soldatenbrief) as part of the inscription (but not always). I have rarely seen unit-stamps of regiments without an abbreviation like FR, IR, GR or Reg. etc. AND it is NOT 131 but 151. Without knowing if it is indeed the Stab of IR 151 it could be a general staff of other units, though with that high a number nothing comes to mind. The IR 151 was fighting between Orzye and Szkwa during March and June of 1915.

GreyC

PS You guys beat me to the post ;-)

Edited by GreyC