Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HILL 80 Wijtschate

cdr

Dank U!!! 

Zeer interessant... 

I contributed to the dig, happy to see it starting. And also happy that Belgian TV pays attention to it.

Won't be able to follow DigHill80 day-to-day on Fakebook (as I refuse to sign up to that website), but I'm sure vrt.be (TV) and hln.be (Newspaper) will keep me informed of any significant finds

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Kath said:

http://www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/11158/the-remains-of-over-40-soldiers-found-during-archaeological-digs-in-wijtschate

The remains of over 40 soldiers found during archaeological digs in Wijtschate.

Thank you. Let's hope they are able to carry on investigating until they are satisfied with their work.

Cheers Martin

Does anyone know the location of the archaeological dig as I cant find reference to it anywhere.

1 hour ago, temptage said:

Does anyone know the location of the archaeological dig as I cant find reference to it anywhere.

I don't have the actual map reference to hand but Wijtschate is about 8km south of Ypres down the N336 and the dig site is tucked in just on the northern edge of the village.  This website provides information

http://hill80.com/history/history/ 

Margaret

Edited by Margosh
Typo

Thanks Margaret. Ive worked out where it is from the aerial photos on the website.

• 3 months later...

Well unfortunately, modern civilisation will have had the last say over the place... they said the dig was temporary, that whatever they found, it would have to close at a certain time, and so it happened. We passed at the dig last friday on the 4 Days of the Yzer, and this is what it looks like now: 

DSC01064.thumb.JPG.4b8b431974be4e614e363bf93277c0e1.JPG

Pity.... 

M.

Great shame.

It seems that life goes on. That is what they fought for,

RIP. All that were found there, and Thanks for there service and the freedom we enjoy today.

GK.