Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Queens own Hussars

Guest Hootsmon

Guest Hootsmon

I would like to share these photos of my grandad and his squadron taken in 1914 at the curragh where he met my grandma.

[Click on images to enlarge]

crystal2.jpg

crystalpalace1.jpg

Great pictures, nice group shot. Thank you for sharing these.

Andy

My Grandad was also in the 4th hussars at Curragh 1914 but I am not sure which squad he was in. if you have any more pics i'd love to see them or any info on the fourth. Here is a picture of him at Curragh 1914 but I'm not sure which one he is

as he died when my mum was only three.

Great photo Madraf , I do have another photo of the regiment in 1919 at Crystal Palace .I ll put it on soon. The Hussars have a museum at Eastbourne .The website is www.eastbournemuseums.co.uk . and tells you alot about the Regiment. :) They may be able to put names to faces in your photo .

hussars1.jpg

grandadandhorse.jpg

Some more pics of my grandad 4th Hussars at Crystal Palace 1919 I think . This is also a hand coloured photo of Thomas Mcevoy my grandad and his horse . The photographer that took the group photo Thomas Everitt, used to work as an official Royal photographer until 1910 . started his own buisness in Anerley south London and is still run by his grandson today. Anyway enough useless information i hope you like the pics Teresa :) Click on pics to enlarge

Nice pics Teresa. here is some of my Grandad's diary from ww1 if you interested

Madraf :)

post-2-1105669521.jpg

Madraf

Thank you very much for sharing the information from the diary. I am particularly interested in the scouting role, both for cavalry and infantry. Do you have any other diary entries that cover this period of the war, up until November 1914?

Robert

Great Diary , you are very priveged to own it and must be very proud. My grandad died when i was 17 so i knew him well, but i was not too interested then to ask anything about ww1 . As your diary names people you could find out more about which squadron your grandad was in possibly .Thanks for sharing Teresa :rolleyes:

Teresa

I sure am lucky to have this diary and some of his medals it's amazing it has survived as long as it has and hopefuly it will be around for another 90 years.

I am in the middle of making copies for the rest of my family and I am adding pictures to go along with it, hope you don't mind if i use the ones you posted to show the 4th before they went off to war, as it will add a personal touch to the diary. I have attached a couple of more entries.

Rich

Here are the specific mentions of 4th Queen's Own Hussars in the British Official History:

'25th August - 1st, 3rd and 4th Cavalry Brigades under increasing shell fire from the enemy, fell back along the third of the ridges between the Selle and the Harpies. At one time the pressure upon the British cavalry seemed so heavy that the 19th Brigade was brought up on to the ridge from Haussy and deployed in order to relieve it. The Germans however were checked with no great difficulty, while the bulk of the cavalry and horse artillery, having for the time-being shaken off the enemy, was collected and massed to the east of Vertain (3 miles north of Solesmes). Here, between 3 and 4 pm, they were suddenly assailed by a storm of German shells from the north-east as well as from the north; whereupon the Cavalry Division, being cramped for space, moved across country by brigades and still smaller bodies, after detailing rear guards to cover the passage of the infantry through Vertain and Solesmes. The 3rd Cavalry Brigade drew off south-east, leaving behind the greater part of the 4th Hussars with instructions to gain touch with the I Corps...'

'28th August - Learning from [French Territorials] that they had been surprised by German cavalry and artillery at Bellenglise, Br-General Gough withdrew his right, the 4th Hussars, southwards from near Essigny to Benay, to cover their retreat. After a time, his patrols reported a brigade of Uhlans to be advancing on Essigny and a second column of all arms further to the east, moving on Cerizy. About 1 pm an advanced party of Uhlans was caught in ambush by the 4th Hussars and dispersed with loss, their killed being identified as of the Guard Cavalry Division.'

'1 September - It was the western flank that was first engaged, the 3rd Cavalry Brigade being attacked on reaching Taillefontaine (5 miles NNW of Villers Cotterets) by a force of all arms advancing from the north. As the brigade drew back to the north-western corner of the Forest of Villers Cotterets, the 4th Hussars were continuously engaged until past noon, and lost their commanding officer, Lt Col Hogg, in the sharp fighting in the woodlands.'

'12th September - 3rd and 5th Cavalry Brigades had proceeded to Serches and pushed out advanced parties northward of Ciry, and thence north-eastward to the bridge over the Vesle leading to the village of Chassemy. The bridge was not destroyed, and so lightly held that the 4th Hussars soon cleared it, and pushed on to Chassemy. Being shelled, however, when in column of route, they sought shelter in the woods to the eastward, and advanced dismounted, against the chateau on the heights north of the village. The rest of the 3rd Cavalry Brigade then moved to the high ground north-east of Chassemy; and on reaching it the 4th Hussars, together with two guns, were sent down into the valley of the Aisne to seize the bridge of Vailly. It was not between 3 and 4 pm. The British horse batteries were just picking up the range of the German guns which had been shelling the 4th Hussars, when two companies of German infantry were reported moving south of Brenelle. [T]he bridge of Vailly was reported destroyed.'

Robert

:) Hi Rich , of course you can use the photo s . The diary is fantastic ,They really had a hard time did nt they? Hope you keep posting the diary .The big print is great. Robert thanks for post on 4th Hussars . :) Teresa

Robert thanks for the great post it was realy interesting to to read and sure fits in with the diary. I couldn't imagine going through all that, we sure are lucky not to

have to go through what they did. I will try to post some more diary if you are

interested.

Rich

Teresa thanks for letting me use the pictures they sure will add a great touch

to the diary

Rich

Rich

Thank you for the offer. I am very interested! Meanwhile, I will try and post some more information about 3rd Brigade.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Nice diary, thanks for sharing.

Is there any mention of 5th or 16th Lancers in the diary, as you may or may not know, they were also part of 3rd Cavalry Brigade along with 4th Hussars.

I have just ordered the 4th Hussars regimental history for their time during WWI.

Brilliant pictures and excellent diary extracts. As a cavalry fan I found them most interesting. However, does anyone know if the barracks at the Curragh and/or Newbridge still exist? I believe they were home to the regiments of the 6th Cavalry Bde(stand to be corrected) which was at that commanded by the then Brigadier Johnny Gough in 1914 and if my memory serves me correctly were central to the controversy of the Curragh Incident which occurred earlier in 1914. It would be marvellous to know if those great pieces of late Victorain or early Edwardian military architecture was still standing.

Many thanks in advance for any help

regards

David

Hi David , Glad you liked Photo,s , and Rich's great war diary . I believe the Curragh is still used as a Defence Forces Training camp . I don't know about the original buildings if they are still there .I have family that still live in Newbridge , as my Grandmother was born there , so i could find out more for you . Regards Teresa. :):)

Hi David , David have spoken to rellies in Newbridge , The're not sure how much of the old buildings are still there .But tell me the Dept of Defence will be moving from Dublin out towards the Currah Camp area .So probably a lot more development going on and probably more security . I dont know if the old buildings will be accessable .There was also a large Barracks in neibouring Naas but that has closed now Regards Teresa :)

The old Marlborough Barracks which housed 5th Lancers and 6th Reserve Cavalry Regiment is still standing and is now called "McKee Barracks".

The photographer that took the group photo Thomas Everitt, used to work as an official Royal photographer until 1910 . started his own buisness in Anerley south London and is still run by his grandson today. Anyway enough useless information i hope you like the pics Teresa :)

Teresa

Actually not useless information at all.

It could be well worth a south London member asking if the grandson still has the WW1 negatives in the back room?

I have seen photos of British and Empire soldiers, printed from WW1 negatives, that belonged to a photographer behind the lines in France. Was it somewhere on the Somme?

Anyway, someone may have the correct issue of the French language "Militaria" magazine, and post more details.