Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Joseph Page of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers

mary colet

I am looking for help in finding information about my grandfather Robert Joseph Page from Dublin. He enlisted in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and was later in the Munster Fusiliers. He reenlisted in 1919. The record for this shows that his number for both regiments was 32108 and that he was a Lance Corporal. That strikes me as a late number? I know he originally enlisted at the start of the war and served in the Dardanelles. I can't find a Medal roll card for him or any other record. I would be grateful for any help.

Edited by mary colet
It helps to clarify my request

• Admin

Welcome to the forum, may I suggest you edit the title to include soldier's name and number etc. as that will attract the attention it deserves.

Also take a look at the Long Long Trail above as it shows how to research a soldier.

Good luck with your search

David

• Admin

Now you are asking! Use the edit option, that should work. Don't worry there is a vast amount of knowledge amongst the members here (myself excluded as I too am relatively new) and they are certain to come to your assistance.

• Admin

The tags are there but the main title hasn't changed yet. Both of us are learning here!

Have another go?

Now looking good!

Edited by DavidOwen
Update

This medal index card may well be your grandfather's, Mary; it certainly fits the criteria you've managed to discover, so far.

Best wishes

RPage.jpg

• Admin
20 minutes ago, Vlaamse Verhalen said:

This medal index card may well be your grandfather's, Mary; it certainly fits the criteria you've managed to discover, so far.

Best wishes

RPage.jpg

The service number doesn't match?

Thank you for that...I found that card and assumed it was his card. The medal rolls for Robert 3890 list him "demobbed" in 1920, class Z.

However there is another record of his reenlisting from 1919 -1922. His reg no.is given as 32108, for both the Munster and Dublin Fusiliers. Could this be a reserve number? It seems a rather late number.

Also it records him as being at sea in December 1919...landing in Palestine ( that's my guess)

so ..the conflict is: 3890 v 32108

Demobbed 1920 v Reenlisting 1919

Maybe there is a simple answer?

Edited by mary colet
a date mistake

• 1 month later...

Robert Joseph Page
soldier
28/02/1919
Ballyvonare
Enlistment
 Scans linked to deed
born

First name: Robert Joseph
Last name: Page
Unit: Royal Dublin Fusiliers
Army number: 7076010
Place of birth: St. Audeons, Dublin
Trade on enlistment: Shoemaker
Age on attestation: 34 2/12
Date of attestation: 28/02/1919
Place of attestation: Ballyvonare
Address on discharge: 8 Mount Shannon Road, Kilmainham, Dublin

NATIONAL ARMY MUSEUM confirms reg no. 32108, for both the Munster and Dublin Fusiliers. Date of enlistment 11 October 1918. It is possible he enlisted into 10th (Lynch's Irish Brigade) RMF at Ballyvonare Co. Cork raied by Arthur Lynch MP who had formed a similar unit for the Boer side in the S Africa war (!)

https://www.nam.ac.uk/collections

No previous service to 11 Oct 18 mentioned. RDF serial 7076010 allocated August 1920 as part of new Army Number scheme. Discharged Hamilton 7/8/1922

• 6 months later...
  • Admin
13 hours ago, Sean Harrington said:

Mary Colet - Is this the same Robert Joseph Page who had a bootshop in Merchants Quay in Dublin & lived in Kilmainham ?

Welcome to the Forum Sean

As Jervis says the best approach would be to send Mary a message but to be able to do that you must have made two posts. A simple reply to this will be sufficient, then click on her name and select message. That will alert her by email.

Regards

David