Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

nzbarbara

nzbarbara

I am researching the 70th Surrey regiment on foot and was wondering if anyone knows if there was an emblem or insignia for that Regiment.

Thanks

On 16/04/2018 at 05:37, nzbarbara said:

I am researching the 70th Surrey regiment on foot and was wondering if anyone knows if there was an emblem or insignia for that Regiment.

Thanks

In general there were 4 types of head dress badge, Barbara, 2 each for officers and men, one a full dress helmet or shako badge and the other for the undress forage cap.  The design varied over the years depending upon the style of the full dress headwear. In addition there could be shoulder belt plate badges and collar badges, depending upon period.  If you can narrow down the dates you are interested in it will be easier to respond with meaningful information.  Here is an image the undress, glengarry cap badge, worn by the 70th between 1874 and 1881: https://collection.nam.ac.uk/images/960/1021000-1021999/1021838.jpg

There were two patterns worn during that span of time.

You can learn more about the 70th at this link: http://www.queensroyalsurreys.org.uk/time_line/70th/1851_1853.shtml

1021838.jpg

70th SBP.jpg

1854 Patt Waist Belt Clasp.jpg

2-Royal-Colour-The-70th-The-Surrey-Regiment.jpg

70th Regimental Colour.jpg

70-OR belt-buckle.jpg

letterhead-70th East Surrey.jpg

70th Button.jpg

70th-surrey-foot-glengarry-badge-1874-81.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

thanks so much for all of this. The man we are researching is my husbands G Grandfather who came to NZ in 1861 from Calcutta and served in the NZ Maori wars and was discharged in NZ in 1866. We are hoping to get the correct insignia of his regiment, put on a plague for a headstone for him (which he don't have.) Will archive it a bit more from the link you have sent.

thank-you. nzbarbara

2 minutes ago, nzbarbara said:

thanks so much for all of this. The man we are researching is my husbands G Grandfather who came to NZ in 1861 from Calcutta and served in the NZ Maori wars and was discharged in NZ in 1866. We are hoping to get the correct insignia of his regiment, put on a plague for a headstone for him (which he don't have.) Will archive it a bit more from the link you have sent.

thank-you. nzbarbara

The British Army traditionally use a simple cap badge rather than the regimental crest Barbara (see the thread on “RAF Badge”) and the best badge for you to use for him would probably be the uppermost posted above, a simple 70 with crown above and Surrey scroll below.