Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lieutenant Arthur Christopher Norman Prance

SueRC

Please can anyone help a struggling amateur!  I'm researching Lieutenant Prance who was killed in action on the 29th May 1918 while serving with the 8th Signal Company Royal Engineers.  Apparently he had a keen interest in wireless while still at school and after leaving Sandhurst gained a commission in the 3rd South Wales Borderers.  Before leaving for France he was appointed Supervisor of Signalling at the HQ of the Southern Army and on arriving in France was made Brigade Signalling Officer to the 8th Division.  I've been trying to track down the relevant diaries but when I open the 8th Division Signal Company record on Ancestry it comes up with the 24th Division diary.  If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful

Enter 1701, nothing else, in the Keyword area of the diaries search box.  That will being up the 8 Division Signal Company RE.  His death is recorded 29 May 1918.

(Trick is to find it in the National Archives catalogue and copy the piece number to the Ancestry search box - works almost all the time!)

Max

• 5 years later...

Hi,

Just returned from my local museum where I was staring at medal (military cross?) and photograph of Christopher Prance! Interested in S.W.B myself so said I would research him and send them anything I could find.  First search showed your post. Keen to know your interest and if there is any info you would like to share either via me or directly with the museum ( or both). Nearly forgot to say. It's Basingstoke, Hants.

Dave

• Admin

@SueRC hasn’t visited the forum for a few years. Hopefully, my tag will alert them to your post. 

Thanks Charlie,

Online search shows th3  friends of museum and his local history group have oth fully researched him. Lady I spoke to obviously did not realise this. Thanks for response.

Dave