Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Major Ernest Jackson DSO, MC and Bar

Margosh

Remembering today on the centenary of his death, died of wounds received 13 April defending Neuve Eglise during the Spring Offensive. In command of 458 (previously 2/1) West Riding Field Company (my Grandfather's FC).  

The diary entry for 13 April records that at 8.30 am he saw enemy enter the village (Neuve Eglise) from the south organising the company to take up positions in houses and checked enemy advance. He was wounded in the ankle. Later the company withdrew slightly to the north and were part of a counter-attack. The village was recaptured and large numbers of prisoners were taken. "Major Jackson perilously wounded".

He was also specifically named in the diary of 148 Infantry Brigade, with two other officers, for 'specially distinguishing themselves'.

Diary entry 15 April,  'Major E Jackson MC died of wounds'.

Lest we forget. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I also came across this Wisden entry although I question if their date is correct. His London Gazette listing for MC is completely different and the details given fit in with his actions at Neuve Eglise 1918,  maybe the date shown 1916 is an error ( I haven't been able to find this entry in LG to check). 

image.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Hello. I don’t know if you can help. We are organising an Armistice Centenary event in our village of Armthorpe near Doncaster. Major Jackson was from here. As part of our commemorations we are looking for descendants of the Fallen who are listed on the village memorial in order to invite them to our event. Are you a relative or are you in contact with any? I would appreciate it if you could get back to me. 

Thankyou.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4 October 2018 at 21:37, Beaniebrod said:

Hello. I don’t know if you can help. We are organising an Armistice Centenary event in our village of Armthorpe near Doncaster. Major Jackson was from here. As part of our commemorations we are looking for descendants of the Fallen who are listed on the village memorial in order to invite them to our event. Are you a relative or are you in contact with any? I would appreciate it if you could get back to me. 

Thankyou.

Hello

Sorry I am late picking up this message. 

I'm afraid I don't have any further information, I am not related in any way. I picked up his story as my Grandfather was also in 458 Field Company. I have been following the war diary and during the time he was Major it was he who wrote that diary. It is quite thought provoking and moving to read a man's handwriting over weeks and months then to read of his death. I wish I could help but I have not come across any family connection. Good luck with your event. 

Margaret

ps, if you come across a photo of him I would be interested to see it. I have searched online but without success. 

• 2 months later...
On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 08:56, Margosh said:

Remembering today on the centenary of his death, died of wounds received 13 April defending Neuve Eglise during the Spring Offensive. In command of 458 (previously 2/1) West Riding Field Company (my Grandfather's FC).  

The diary entry for 13 April records that at 8.30 am he saw enemy enter the village (Neuve Eglise) from the south organising the company to take up positions in houses and checked enemy advance. He was wounded in the ankle. Later the company withdrew slightly to the north and were part of a counter-attack. The village was recaptured and large numbers of prisoners were taken. "Major Jackson perilously wounded".

He was also specifically named in the diary of 148 Infantry Brigade, with two other officers, for 'specially distinguishing themselves'.

Diary entry 15 April,  'Major E Jackson MC died of wounds'.

Lest we forget. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Where did you find this diary? My great grandfather was also wounded and captured on the 13th April 1918. He was in the 33rd battalion Kings royal rifle corps.

On 05/01/2019 at 11:00, karenh said:

Where did you find this diary? My great grandfather was also wounded and captured on the 13th April 1918. He was in the 33rd battalion Kings royal rifle corps.

Hello Karen

My information is mostly from the War Diary of 2/1 (West Riding) Field Comany, Royal Engineers, later renamed 458 Field Company. I downloaded this diary some years ago from National Archives but it is now available to access (via subscription) on Ancestry and Find My Past. If you don't subscribe to these sites there should be free access at many libraries.

If you are looking for information about Neuve Eglise on and around 13th April 1918 there are quite a few threads on here with information and some maps (which often show regiment/battalion positions).

From what I found, the action in and around Neuve Eglise during those days was very intense and units were rather mixed up. If you can find the Diary entries for your Gt Grandfather's unit there may be reference to other regiments etc and it may be worth cross referincing their Diaries too.

Margaret