Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Wounded in Action

midge15

Can anyone help me identify if my grandfather was eligible for the silver coloured insignia recognising that he was wounded during active service in WW!?

(My father who served and was wounded in WW2 certainly was eligible and I have the badge.) I understand that the circumstances may be different from the criteria for WW2 but a head wound is a head wound and put him out of action for 6 months in November 1916.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Barry

Hi Barry,

If your grandfather was 'patched' up and returned to service (rather than being discharged as a consequence of his wounding) he wouldn't have been awarded the Silver War Badge - see here. It seems likely that he would have been entitled to a wound stripe though - see here.

You can check for any SWB award, for example on Ancestry here.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply. I have checked with the documentation I have and it seems that as he was discharged at the end of the conflict medically fit he did not qualify for the badge. Ah well! However, according to the regulations he would have been able to wear the wound stripe on his sleeve. I don't have a photo showing this but I can add the info to his profile on Ancestry.

Thanks again

Barry

By todays standards, virtually anyone who served in the WW1 trenches was deserving of the VC at least....

Be thankful that he survived, despite what could have been a fatal wound and survived. 

To think he recovered sufficiently to not be discharged is a tribute to him

5 hours ago, midge15 said:

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply. I have checked with the documentation I have and it seems that as he was discharged at the end of the conflict medically fit he did not qualify for the badge. Ah well! However, according to the regulations he would have been able to wear the wound stripe on his sleeve. I don't have a photo showing this but I can add the info to his profile on Ancestry.

Thanks again

Barry

The wound stripe was worn on the left cuff. With your arm straight down your side it would have appeared vertical rather than horizontal. Here is an image of one from my collection on its backing plate if that helps? Oh, and they were made of brass.

Regards,

Mike

Wound Stripe revised.JPG

Edited by Medaler
added a bit

To Kevin Battle - thank you for the kind words. Not only did he survive. 6 months later he was back in the trenches with 4th Battalion Coldstream guards as a stretcher bearer and remained on active duty until discharge in early 1919.

To Medaler - also thanks for the image. I did see a photo on a website somewhere of a soldier with the stripe on his left sleeve as you correctly informed me. I expect he never kept it. I do have his medals though!!! Treasured objects as are my dads from WW2.

Thanks to all for your responses.

Barry