Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonika War Diaries

axial1680

My Paternal Grandfather was in the 6th Bn Royal Munster Fusiliers and after surviving Gallipoli he was sent to Salonika. I know he left Gallipoli to sail to Salonika on the 29th September 1915. on the 4th October he was fined for disobeying Brigade orders, so that must have been while sailing as on the 7th October the SS Aeneas they were sailing on collided with a minesweeper. They landed at Salonika on 10th October 1915. From then on details are very thin. I know the whole Division camped at Lemdet Farm I do know they were sent civilian clothes and shoes to temporarily replace worn out army gear. I have found little bits about the Battle of Kosturino and then them in action in the Sturma Valley. The next I have found he was transferred to the No 28 Casualty Clearing station on 25th Feb 1917 and then onto a Hospital ship called the Valdivia on 1st March 1917 with malaria which he suffered from for the rest of the war on and off. He was transferred to the RASC in October 1918 as he was a malaria case and couldn't carry a pack. 

What I would like to know is are there any war diaries from this period? I have Alan Wakefield's book the Under the Devils Eye, but its quite thin on the details of the 6th Bn.

I am writing a biography and have many more pages from 2 months in Gallipoli compared to 2 years in Salonika, I know it was much quieter over there but I have virtually nothing.

Thanks,

Paul

Thank you for that Charlie, I wonder if that's why they didn't show up when looking for them. Looks like a trip to London as I would think it would be expensive copying them.

Paul

Paul,

The default setting on the NA website has a filter „Available for download only“ which needs unchecking to find all the War Diaries.

Charlie

• 1 year later...

likewise i am searching for the diary of the 13th Manchesters while in Salonika, i can only find the diary up to October 31st, the day of Disembarkation in Salonika.

any help would be apreciated.

Gary

• 5 months later...

To; axial1680

This work has useful info on 7th and then 6th Munsters following amalgamation Nov 1916 - easily picked up 

Chindwin to Criccieth;: The life of Godfrey Drage Hardcover 1956 by Charles Drage (Author)

Did you manage to obtain 6th Munsters WD ?