Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can Anyone Help Identify This Uniform

Katie T-D

This photo is of my Great Aunt in WWI, she was born in Yately, Hampshire in 1896. I have conflicting family reports that she was in the Army or Air Force during WWI. I’m at a loss where to find information to help identify this uniform that she is wearing. I’m hoping those knowledgeable with women in the services during WWI may be able to assist. I’m told she was a payroll clerk. Any assistance welcome. Thank you.

F42410A4-BBE0-45A0-B809-1854536F1364.jpeg

Katie

The uniform is that the Women's Auxiliary Army Corps.

See: http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/women-and-the-british-army-in-the-first-world-war/

Can you give us her name please as this may help in finding info about her?

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS
Duplicated text.

I think she is a member of Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps, because the cap badge is not the correct shape for the badge worn by the WAAC. The badge in the photo is also surmounted by a King's Crown which the WAAC badge lacked.

The QMAAC was originally the WAAC but was renamed in April 1918.  Many of these women were employed in various roles ranging from cooking to clerical work and with the Royal Aircraft Factory/Royal Aircraft Establishment, just down the road from Yateley at Farnborough, your Aunt may have worked with the Royal Flying Corps.

Women working with the RFC wore Royal Flying Corps shoulder titles, which can just be seen in your photo.

Edited by Sepoy

Sepoy

On second look I agree with you.

Dave