Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My new website/blog including original research about WW1 Records

Justinth

Hi All

I have built a new blog/website to share some of my thoughts on some long-running areas of interest about First and Second World War records. There is original content on the Arnside Fire, C.W.G.C. records, British Army records and also Memorial Plaques. The link to the site is here: https://warrecordsrevealed.com/ .

Best wishes

Justin

Well done.  To see reference to so-called 'documents of no historical importance' being selected for destruction makes you weep.

Charlie

Excellent work - still can't find a reason why my granddad (retired July 1922) has no service record in Glasgow. He was Royal Garrison Artillery and included in the RA renumbering books from August 1920.

Must have been a clerical error!

Mark 

Thank you all for your kind comments.  I hope the information on the website is of some use.

Best wishes

Justin

Edited by Justinth

A very good read Justin.

How can it be that these documents were once considered of so little historical value, yet are now a National Treasure?

Where are the Burnt Records kept now?

Morning Dai

When I looked at this in 2015 the surviving Burnt Records were in 'Deep Store' in a salt mine in Cheshire (you can see some of the labelled boxes in the Guardian story as mentioned in the post):

Best

Justin

Edited by Justinth

Thanks Chris. The answer is just time and like all of us interest. I think that many people in the Forum have put years into their research and make fantastic contributions to our understanding of the Great War. I am often in awe of some of the expertise here.

Best

Justin