Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

ASC - railways

clwech

I have a 1914/15 diary belonging to my g-grandfather who joined the ASC on 31/12/14 - Service No 5615 (John Augustus Hooper).  I believe he became/was part of the 33 & 34 Railway Labour Coy, (as his diary ties up with details in the Labour Coy Official War Diary).  He was also servant to Lieut Bulleid.  Can anyone decipher the photo I've attached?  I'm having great difficulty tying up g-grandfathers diaries with any info in books or on the web.

thanks in hopeful anticipation 

clwech

SCAN2862.JPG

Perhaps his postal address ?

No 2 Section, Railway Labour Company, Indian Infantry Railhead, Indian Corps - 51 Field Post Office. (although I cannot find where this is)

Charlie

13 hours ago, IPT said:

Yes. Didn't see it was I Corps.

We are talking 1915, I think, when Indian Corps were in France. It was  in 1916 that  they were dispersed to warmer climes, Mesopotamia, Africa ? So perhaps FPO 51 moved.

Charlie

14 hours ago, Dave66 said:

Interesting information on this site concerning the army postal service here... https://www.worldwar1postcards.com/soldiers-mail.php

Dave.

Rather off topic of this particular thread, sorry,  but I have to say thanks Dave, what a an interesting site, I haven't seen that before. Didn't know about positioning of stamps - now I need to go back through all my old cards!

Margaret

6 hours ago, Margosh said:

Rather off topic of this particular thread, sorry,  but I have to say thanks Dave, what a an interesting site, I haven't seen that before. Didn't know about positioning of stamps - now I need to go back through all my old cards!

Margaret

Only intended as a wee bit of background to try and pin down 51 F.P.O., many apologies if not relevant.

very useful info on there if trying to work out where something was sent from, divisions and regiments involved.

Regards.

Dave.

1 minute ago, Dave66 said:

many apologies if not relevant.

Part of the fun of research- never know what little titbits one learns on the way.

13 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Only intended as a wee bit of background to try and pin down 51 F.P.O., many apologies if not relevant.

very useful info on there if trying to work out where something was sent from, divisions and regiments involved.

Regards.

Dave.

Sorry Dave, I meant I was wandering a bit off topic (I know some don't like that),  not you. I spent ages on that website this afternoon, fascinating. Thanks for the link.  Part of what I love about this Forum, would never come across such info if I didn't come on here.

8 minutes ago, Margosh said:

Sorry Dave, I meant I was wandering a bit off topic (I know some don't like that),  not you. I spent ages on that website this afternoon, fascinating. Thanks for the link.  Part of what I love about this Forum, would never come across such info if I didn't come on here.

No apology needed...Crossed wires, but thanks Margaret.

Dave.

clwelch

Your older thread on your GGF gives an interesting timeline on his 'varied' service (pigkeeper!!). You might be able to match his batman period with Bulleid's service through the links I gave above ?

Charlie

On 4/12/2018 at 22:25, charlie962 said:

Hooper's MIC says 1915 entry France.

Bulleid was also France, I think, if this was he

and again here

hi Charlie962

in regard to this post of yours, i thought you might like to see the diary evidence for the 2nd link - .  The Pigkeeper reference on the Certificate of Work ties in with his diary entry of SCAN2853.JPG.34c109d56d40b871874320e79bb524d3.JPG "we took 6 prizes Aldershot Command Agricultural Show" 28 August 1918.  Can't currently make the rest of his War Cert dates tie up with anything else.   

Thanks 'clwech'

3 hours ago, clwech said:

we took 6 prizes Aldershot Command Agricultural Show

a quick search of Newspaper Archive only brought up Aldershott Command Horse Show for that day. Pigs didn't get a mention ! I once kept a few pigs myself so I am amused by the entry- well done getting 6 prizes.

Charlie

For the Diary page, is the year 1916 ?  Bulleid was promoted to Major in Nov 1916 it seems. Perhaps the wine was because he knew he was being promoted ?

The entry above Bulleid Captain says' Aeroplane battle at Hazebrouck'.

Charlie

Hi Charlie

The diary is for 1915.  As I don't have my ggf service record, I've had to put together a timeline with the diaries & the Certificate of War Employment the family still have.  

Clwech