Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Tidmas

stiletto_33853

For some reason this name is familiar. Can anyone shed any light on this gentleman who was involved in criminal activity back in the UK after his dismissal.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

Quite a few hits 1918 for Charles William Tidmas along these lines?

5acfab24b1f5d_TidmasC1918newspaper.JPG.1dd75e91c564b97a94c85fcdba31c64e.JPG

Thanks Charlie, I believe that is the same man, References I have is to him being in London just before that trying to buy a gun and using a stolen car as collateral.  This gentleman must have left a mark as there is correspondence with Haig in France regarding another officer who had fallen in with Tidmas. Police reports have C. W. as his initials. According to the correspondence dismissed from the RNAS.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

Thanks again, might well be worth pulling that file to have a look.

Andy

Officer in question was Ponsonby, 9th Rifle Brigade. Commissioned form 8th RB after losing an eye at Hooge 30/7/15 in the morning flamethrower attack. His CO was very complimentary about him stating that he continued at his station and carried messages during the afternoon counter attack.

Andy

DSC08927.jpg

DSC08914.jpg

Edited by stiletto_33853

2 hours ago, charlie962 said:

There is a service record at NA for a 2Lt Charles William Tidmas RASC but I couldnt see an MIC for him ??

The Nottingham CW Tidmas was an Engineer aged 32.

Normally officers had to apply for their medals after the war was over. It would seem that TIDMAS may have had other things on his mind & did not apply. From what is here it's doubtful that he would have been awarded them in any case. But I think if he had applied & been refused there would have been an MIC to record the fact. Hopefully others with more knowledge will be on here to correct any errors.