Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cecil Arthur Holifield

Gareth Davies

A friend's grandfather was Cecil Arthur Holifield. They think he was an Oxfordshire Hussar and that quite possibly he was taken prisoner.  I have tried the ICRC POW lists and I can't find him.  Nor have I seen any service records or MIC.  Can anyone shed a little more light on him for me please?

Edit:  I see that there is an OBLI Cecil A Holifield's MIC on Ancestry (which I can't read as I don't subscribe) so maybe my initial post had the right county but wrong Regt.

Edited by Gareth Davies

Yes, I see the MIC and have also read the Medal Roll. It has 7873 and 203622 for him, Cecil A HOLIFIELD, with the OBLI. Roll says 1/4 Battalion.

Edited by sotonmate

He served as #7873, #203622, Oxfordshire And Buckinghamshire Light Infantry overseas but started in the Oxfordshire Hussars.

There's quite substantial service records on Find My Past (and presumably Ancestry).

Craig

3 minutes ago, sotonmate said:

Yes, I see the MIC and have also read the Medal Roll. It has 7873 and 203622 for him, Cecil A HOLIFIELD, with the OBLI. Roll says 1/4 Battalion.

Thank you. 

Just now, ss002d6252 said:

He served as #7873, #203622, Oxfordshire And Buckinghamshire Light Infantry overseas but started in the Oxfordshire Hussars.

There's quite substantial service records on Find My Past (and presumably Ancestry).

Craig

Thank you.

Great, thank you again.

He was captured in Italy.

Edited by Gareth Davies

I need to improve my ICRC search skills!  I couldn't find him.

1/4 OBLI :

4.8.14 - Oxford, S Midland Brigade , South Midland Division - to Writtle near Chelmsford.

30.3.15 landed Boulogne

May 1915, formation became 145 Brigade, 48 Division.

Nov 1917  to Italy

4.11.18 Austria - near Trent

Source British Regiments 1914-1918 , Brigadier E A James OBE TD

TR

Just now, Terry_Reeves said:

1/4 OBLI :

4.8.14 - Oxford, S Midland Brigade , South Midland Division - to Writtle near Chelmsford.

30.3.15 landed Boulogne

May 1915, formation became 145 Brigade, 48 Division.

Nov 1917  to Italy

4.11.18 Austria - near Trent

Source British Regiments 1914-1918 , Brigadier E A James OBE TD

TR

Thanks Terry.  I know the 15-15 June actions fairly well and have walked the ground (sadly not for a couple of years though).

• 7 months later...

I am re-energising this thread as I have a few more questions.  From his service records I know that Cecil was with the 3/1st QOOH in Ireland (at the Curragh) - a horse trod on his foot (or maybe kicked him) in August 1916.  And then at some stage he joined the 1/4th OBLI.  Was he one of a gang of Oxfordshire Hussars who were sent off to the Infantry or do we think that he had had enough off the nags and wanted to go and stick cold steel up the Hun?

Hi Gareth,

4 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

Was he one of a gang of Oxfordshire Hussars who were sent off to the Infantry

I think so. His record shows...

image.png.547b5a44e7fecc54c76fc85254649919.png

Image source: Findmypast

There are some surviving papers for other near number OBLI men which show:

7871/203620 Harris - 4/OBLI (previously 2382 QOOH)

7872/203621 Hughes - 4/OBLI (previously QOOH, number not shown)

7873/203622

?      /203624 Marchant - 4/OBLI (previously QOOH, number not shown). Transferred 26.12.1916

?      /203627 Ward  - 4/OBLI (previously 1758 QOOH)

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris.

• 1 year later...
On 12 April 2018 at 19:02, Gareth Davies said:

Is there any way of finding out which camp he was held in?

Nudge. 

Is there any way of finding out which camp in Austria he was held in?  That said, what does Austria mean in geographic terms in this case? 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Gareth Davies said:

Is there any way of finding out which camp in Austria he was held in?

Doesn't help with your question but

he is on a list of men from the 1/4 reported released by hospital in Italy dated 18th November.

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/List/3122432/699/52132/

This includes men from the 1/5 Gloucestershire Regiment. CWGC has just a handful of WW1 casualties in Austria, all of whom were concentrated after the war

However this man https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2000661/wilson,-george/

did not make it home and was originally interred in Vienna. I appreciate it's a bit of a stretch but somewhere to start perhaps.

According to this article, within the Austro-Hungarian Empire men were dispersed on forced labour

https://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/article/prisoners_of_war_austria-hungary

The war diary of the 1/4 has been transcribed http://www.oxfordandbucks.co.uk/index.htm

Ken

Thanks Ken. Very useful.