Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

territorial force number

Marigold1

I am researching a soldier, Frederick Henry Robinson, who was with the Territorial Force before serving as Private 36950 with the Northumberland Fusiliers in WW1. On his medal card his TF number is given as TR/5/1822. He was a grocer working in the borders of Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, and lived in Bolsover.

Is it possible to glean any extra information from the TF number, such as which branch of the TF he was with?

Any comments gratefully received.

Marigold

#36950 died 16 May 1918 and a war gratuity of £5 (net) for paid for 16 months service. This indicates he enlisted in the month from 17 Jan 1917.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

I,m not that good at this, but on Ancestry it has his former number as Tr/55061 Terr Res

36950 1st Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers enlistment enlistment Cresswell Northumberland born Alverstoke .

The son of Thomas & Beatrice buried in Loughborough Cemetery , if I've got it right and it helps

Regards Rusty

The above info from Rusty comes from Soldiers Died in the Great War - it has been transcribed as 'FORMERLY TR/55061, TERR. RES.' If this was a Training Reserve number (which I suspect) then  the correct format should be TR/5/5061 however it does vary from the initial post.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Looking at nearby men gives you a likely route for Frederick as it ties in with his enlistment date etc.

#36990 attested 16 Feb 1917 and was with the Training Reserve until he was posted to France on 29 May 1917. He was then transferred to the 1st NF in France on 16 June 17 from 32 Infantry Base Depot at Etaples.

Craig