Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

275 Brigade RFA TF

Perth Digger

I am trying to discover where, in Kent, the 1/1 West Lancs Brigade (re-badged as 275 Brigade) did its preliminary training. I believe that the unit was in Kent in 1915, but would like to confirm this.

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

They were at Dunton Green and Brasted from December 1914 to March 1915. Then they moved to billets in Ash and Eastry and finally to hutments on the outskirts of Canterbury on September 10, 1915. 

Thanks very much, David. That's very helpful.

Does your source have any mention of 2nd Lt Leonard Comer Wall? He's the subject of other threads on here.

Mike

Edited by Perth Digger

Mike: What information concerning information about 2Lt. Leonard Corner Wall are you looking for as I have information on him from the following sources: 

1. Clifton College Register, 1862 to 1925

2. Liverpool Scroll of Fame

3. Kamp Knews, Xmas 1916

4. War Diary 1st Lancashire Brigade RFA (the book)

5. Short History of the West Lancashire Brigade

6. War Diary of 275th Brigade RFA for 1916-1918 (from TNA)

These sources also have a number of photos of him.

If you would like information on Wall from any of these sources or any of the photos, please PM me.

Regards, Dick Flory

• 1 year later...

Excellent research there Mike. The locations from December 1914 were obtained through some service records of other brigade members. I now see how significant the stay in Brasted was in the case of Leonard Wall. However, I'm intrigued to know where you got Crosby and Aintree as initial War Stations before they moved South.

Mike:  A great job of research and presentation.

Dear Mike,

A moving saga, and a tribute to your research: the postscript concerning Dorothy being just one example...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 7 months later...

I'm new to this site and may not be in the right location but here goes:

My late uncle 675093 Cpl Thomas Joseph Grant was awarded the MM in the great war and according to the medal roll he served in A/275th (West Lancs) Bde RFA (TF).

The MM was announced in: SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 7 OCTOBER, 1918. Page 11829 Awarded the Military Medal: 675093 Cpl. T. J. Grant, R.F.A. (L'pool).

That's the limit of what I know about his military service although he was later awarded the BEM for his service as an ARP Rescue Warden in WW2 in Liverpool.

I would appreciate any help in shedding some more light on this brave guy.

Many thanks

Chris

Chris, Welcome to the Forum.

With 275 Bde being part of 55th West Lancs Division, I wonder if there is something of interest in the Jeudwine Papers held at the Liverpool Record Office ? These are apparently an exceptional collection of Divisional records. Perhaps you could contact them ?

The MM citation records generally were destroyed by bombing in WW2 so you will have to rely on Local Newspapers or War Diaries for possible detail.

He was reported wounded in the Daily Casualty List of 3/6/1918. Normally these reports appeared about a month after the actual wounding.

The wounding could have happened in the same action that earned him a MM ?

I believe this wounding may have been the cause of his subsequent dicharge in 1919 with a Silver War Badge and a limited pension entitlement.

The Silver War Badge record shows him as originally enlisting 6/3/1912 and being discharged 8/2/1919. The Pension Card adds no info of use to us.

His Medal Index Card shows him first going to France on 29/9/1915. This was, I think, the date that the Divisional Artillery first went to France so he was with them throughout it would seem.

Charlie

Edit    I note there is brief mention of his BEM investiture in the Liverpool Evening Express 5/3/42 for work during air raids over Merseyside in 1941. But that's off topic!  Previous ref in Liverpool Daily Post 6/9/41 talking about his rescue work during a particular raid of 3/5/1941. Courageous in both wars !

Courtesy FindmyPast

1866302110_GWFGrantTJphotoARP1941.JPG.35a07f7a37fe088b3248d07225d25c36.JPG

edit edit-  I see there's a good photo in ARP uniform on the Wartime Memories Project Site, showing ribbons of BEM, MM, 1914/15 Star, Victory medal and looks like one more ?

Edited by charlie962

11 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Chris, Welcome to the Forum.

With 275 Bde being part of 55th West Lancs Division, I wonder if there is something of interest in the Jeudwine Papers held at the Liverpool Record Office ? These are apparently an exceptional collection of Divisional records. Perhaps you could contact them ?

The MM citation records generally were destroyed by bombing in WW2 so you will have to rely on Local Newspapers or War Diaries for possible detail.

He was reported wounded in the Daily Casualty List of 3/6/1918. Normally these reports appeared about a month after the actual wounding.

The wounding could have happened in the same action that earned him a MM ?

I believe this wounding may have been the cause of his subsequent dicharge in 1919 with a Silver War Badge and a limited pension entitlement.

The Silver War Badge record shows him as originally enlisting 6/3/1912 and being discharged 8/2/1919. The Pension Card adds no info of use to us.

His Medal Index Card shows him first going to France on 29/9/1915. This was, I think, the date that the Divisional Artillery first went to France so he was with them throughout it would seem.

Charlie

Edit    I note there is brief mention of his BEM investiture in the Liverpool Evening Express 5/3/42 for work during air raids over Merseyside in 1941. But that's off topic!  Previous ref in Liverpool Daily Post 6/9/41 talking about his rescue work during a particular raid of 3/5/1941. Courageous in both wars !

Courtesy FindmyPast

1866302110_GWFGrantTJphotoARP1941.JPG.35a07f7a37fe088b3248d07225d25c36.JPG

edit edit-  I see there's a good photo in ARP uniform on the Wartime Memories Project Site, showing ribbons of BEM, MM, 1914/15 Star, Victory medal and looks like one more ?

Charlie

Thank you for the quick and very detailed reply; I wasn't expecting so much information and I appreciate the work you've done in giving me all the fresh leads to follow. I dashed through 3 downloads of war diaries last night but will go through them again with more care. I noticed that the casualties amongst the brigade were very severe at times, and I had no idea that Tom had been wounded. Thanks once again!

675093 Cpl Thomas Joseph Grant was awarded the MM for his actions on 9th April, 1918 at Gorre.

"For conspicuous gallantry in action. During the very heavy bombardment of A/275 position E. of GORRE on 9th April, 1918, Corpl. Grant's gun pit had two direct hits on it, and the roof was blown in. In spite of this he kept his gun in action all day with the freatest pluck."

Source: Jeudwine Papers, Liverpool Record Office.

10 minutes ago, Ken Lees said:

Source: Jeudwine Papers,

Ah- great to know that they contain these details.

Edited by charlie962

Just now, charlie962 said:

Ah- great to know that they contain these details.

The recommendations are by no means complete, but those that have survived are invaluable.

21 minutes ago, Ken Lees said:

675093 Cpl Thomas Joseph Grant was awarded the MM for his actions on 9th April, 1918 at Gorre.

"For conspicuous gallantry in action. During the very heavy bombardment of A/275 position E. of GORRE on 9th April, 1918, Corpl. Grant's gun pit had two direct hits on it, and the roof was blown in. In spite of this he kept his gun in action all day with the freatest pluck."

Source: Jeudwine Papers, Liverpool Record Office.

Ken

I’m really grateful for the Information. Tom died before I was born but thanks to you guys I feel like I’m getting to know him. Thank you so much and your help is very much appreciated.

Chris

• 3 months later...
On 23/04/2019 at 02:26, Perth Digger said:

It's taken a long time but I have finished an article on Leonard Comer Wall.

Mike, I've been looking at the story from the perspective of Blackie and I can't work out why I missed this in my initial searches - it is an outstanding piece of research full of new and interesting perspectives. Belated thanks for posting it.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Pete. I've not been on the Forum for a bit and did not see your message until now.

I seem to have neglected other replies here too (I see that the notification thingy was turned off). Apologies to all.

Mike