Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Fallen - Casualties from the Whitchurch Parish, Cardiff.

CeriS

I thought I would flag up the fact that I, together with another Cardiff based researcher, Gwyn Prescott, are researching and producing a book that commemorates the men from the parish of Whitchurch in Northern Cardiff who fell during the First World War or died of wounds / disease in the immediate post-war years.

The Whitchurch War Memorial stands outside the village library and has 125 names on it from the Great War period, plus those from the Second World War also and one other casualty from an IRA bombing.

At the time of the First World War, the Whitchurch parish also included Llandaff North, Birchgrove, Rhiwbina and Tongwynlais.

In addition to those named on the memorial, Gwyn and I have identified another 93 men who can also lay a claim to being included, and so we have.  We have permission from 'Media Wales' who own the various local newspapers (and those that were produced between 1914-1918) so that we can reproduce the small obituaries and photographs that were published in papers such as the Western Mail, South Wales Echo, South Wales Daily News, Cardiff Times etc. 

There will also be a chapter on Whitchurch Hospital, which was used as a military hospital during those times, and much more.

We are looking to give as much information about the men's lives as possible, drawn from the various census returns, school admission register details etc as well as the usual military sources. Photographs will also be included of the local churches and schools that have their own memorial tablets in them etc. I have also taken photographs of the various headstones of men who died at home who are buried in the various local cemeteries. The plan is to have the book available by the start of the autumn. I have begun a Facebook page on the Whitchurch (Cardiff) War Memorial if anyone is interested to have a look, where I am posting some items relating to the men included.

Of the 125 names on the memorial, there are just four that we are at a loss to find. We have searched the papers, looked through Ancestry.com, Find My Past, Forces War Records etc, but can find no trace of: James H.Aldridge, Albert Bird, William C (or G) Francis and Henry Thomas. In the case of Bird and Thomas there are plenty of candidates in a general sense, but so far we have not found any with a solid link to the parish. No regimental details are given on the War Memorial, so there are very few clues to follow. If anyone has any thoughts on these four individuals, naturally I would be delighted to hear about them.

I can be contacted at ceristennett@gmail.com for further information or if anyone has anything that can be contributed to the work.

Whitchurch Library & Monument copy.jpg