Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Information on Pte 307273 Sidney .G. Newell Notts & Derbys

OLD ROBIN HOOD

Greetings from  a very soggy and damp Sherwood Forest

My  present stalled for many years research project is Pvt  307273 Sidney G Newell  Notts & Derby  Regt

All that I have is a medal index card with his name rank number and regiment plus his medals

which are the war and victory, 

So anything else would be appreciated.

Old Robin Hood

From Godmanchester, Herts, served with 17th Battalion, died of fever 17 January 1918, buried in Boulogne.

On Bedford and Northampton section of National Roll of the Great War on Find My Past.

John

Edited by John Milner

Hi ORH

Sidney George Newell, aged 20yrs. formerly of 12th Bn. medal award rolls. Died Thursday 17.1.1918 His father George Robert Newell married Rosetta Foster 1897 Huntingdon. He died Dec, 1918, 3b,506. Huntingdon, aged 43 yrs. Sidney was one of five children. Trees on Ancestry, not aware of his service, have sent a PM to relatives. Soldiers'effects has him as S G Newell, SCOTS DERBY !!!!. Money paid to his mother Rosetta.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Hi John & Barry.

You have my thanks. How I ever missed Private Newell in the Notts & Derby casualty roll I will never know , but I did.

I put it down to old age (  any excuse ). Interesting to see that he was once in the 12th Pioneer Bn.

I love the bit about him being in the SCOTS DERBY. The Foresters once had the nickname of the "Notts & Jocks "

but I don't think the scots derby.    Anyway again many thanks

Old Robin Hood