Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

776 MT ASC

johndavidswarbrick

Dear All,

Can anyone cast light on the movements of the above unit - I can't see any war diary, but that just might be my incompetence.

Where they at any stage stationed at or near Tonbridge?

Regards and thanks

Dave Swarbrick

Hello Dave

I can't find a War Diary for them either, which suggests that they were based in the UK. Such units were not required to keep diaries.

The file WO95/5494 confirms that it was indeed at Tonbridge, and later at Chatham. It was also known as 45th LAMT Company, which I think stands for Local Auxiliary Mechanical Transport Company.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Thanks for confirming what I was beginning to suspect, namely that this was a "home" establishment.

Regards,

Dave

Just for the sake of completion, Michael Young (Army Service Corps 1902-1918) merely adds the date of formation (12/8/1916) and disbandment by renumbering to 18 MT Co. (1/8/1922).

The rest is as Ron says above, and confirms there is no known War Diary.

His book doesn't however explain the full role of a Local Auxilliary (MT) Company.

You could also try the Royal Logistic Corps museum as they are the custodians of the Army Service Corps records they may have something on the unit you're looking for.

• 3 years later...

Nice photograph Chip, thanks for posting, looks like the men at the back are sat on an armoured car, not sure which type but it's not one of the common ones.

• 6 months later...

Hi there!

I'm researching my great-grandpa, Clark Orr Renney M2/166629. His records show him as being with the 776 MT Co. He was originally in Grove Park, but was sent to East Africa on 24 June 1916 where he remained until after the war ended (with the exception of a 5 month hospital visit in South Africa after contracting malaria.) I'm struggling to find much information about this company, or what their role was in the conflict. His records show he was a lorry driver. Unfortunately, he passed away in an industrial accident in Canada when he was quite young and we know very little about him. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be eternally grateful! 

On a side note, is this picture that was posted of the 776 MT Co that my great-grandpa belonged to? ie, would he possibly be in this picture?

Thanks so much!

Natalie

Hi Nat,

Without digging out any of my books, I think it looks as though 776 Coy never went overseas.

So Clark Penney must have been transferred to another Mechanical Transport Company.
Can I ask where your information comes from? Is it from a service record on Ancestry or Find My Past?
If so, can you post a link to it, as I can't  for the life of me find it on Ancestry?

Failing that, can you post an image of the relevant page in his record, that should indicate his transfer in and out of other companies?

Reading and interpreting service records, many of which are fire and water damaged, is a bit of a black art, we love to try...

OK.

Strange, I see thats a .com address.For Ancestry UK, the link is :

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1114/images/MIUK1914A_086438-00969?usePUB=true&_phsrc=srs2&usePUBJs=true&sort=-created&pId=589178

Edit: After a quick scan, I can't see any references in Africa to any ASC companies'numbers.

I'll look again later.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

I'm in Canada, and always use the .com version! So he likely started in 776 and was transferred to another company in Africa? The only other information I have is from the news article on his death in 1929 which says "A veteran of the world war, he also served with the British army in German East Africa, being one of 220 who returned out of 1,600 members of a British expedition which was delegated to protect British interests in that section" I find obits can exaggerate accomplishments to an extent. My grandpa was only 4 when his father died, so little was passed on that way.

I was looking at that! I downloaded the book "The Royal Army Corps - A History of Transport and Supply in the British Army" It has certainly given me new appreciation for what they did and has me trying to learn what I can about WWI in East Africa. Particularly being from Canada, we're mostly taught about battles like Vimy Ridge or the Somme, I don't think East Africa was even mentioned other than by family members. Eye-opening for sure!

Hi again! 

I was able to find a bit more information on Fold3 about my great-grandpa, Clark Renney. I've been able figure out what a lot of the entries mean. He was definitely in East Africa, arriving there on August 6, 1916. He was there until the end of the war, but spent a few months in South Africa as a result of malaria and dysentery. I have ordered the book by WW Campbell so that should answer some of my questions regarding what the lorry drivers did. I read The Pike Report which shed some light on how difficult the Motor Transport Drivers in particular had it in terms of workload, risk of disease, inadequate nutrition, and poor sanitation. It appears as though Clark reinlisted after the war and that was with the 776 MT Coy, thus his records showing that. Would anyone be able to take a look at his records on Fold3, particularly page 11 and let me know what they mean? 648 Co is mentioned in there. Here's the link in case anyone can help :) Page 11 British Army WWI Pension Records - Fold3

Thanks so much!

Natalie

I have had a look this morning in 'Army Service Corps 1902 1918' by Michael Young and 648 MT Co was formed February 1916, Theatre is East Africa and it's roles are listed as:

Water Tank Company (MT) 

4th Auxiliary (MT) Company (for maintenance services) Artillery Support

There are only 3 pages in the book on East Africa so it's probably not worth getting a copy.