Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 South Wales Borderers - 17/18 June 1915

Johno7439

Does anybody have access to the battalion war diary for the 17th/18th June 1915 -  the attack  on Turkey Trench and in particular the action by Captain Fowler, RSM Westland and Privates Woods and Matthews in retaking the trench? 

Thanks 

Ewan

• Admin

The war diary is available on Ancestry and includes a three page Appendix of closely written text describing the action.  If you subscribe it

begins here.  There are also sketch plans.

There is a more accessible account in Atkinson’s history of SWB.  

The action began with a Turkish bombardment in the evening on June 18th.  Around 8.30p.m. the Turks attacked, at first they were beaten off but soon overwhelmed the defenders and got into the NW end of Turkey Trench.  They advanced, cutting off the SWB from the Inniskillings on their right.  A joint party of the Inniskillings and SWB attempted to regain Turkey Trench, and although they were initially successful the Turks fought back.  At 11.15 pm Captain Walker and a bombing party attacked but were unable to relieve the pressure.  Throughout the night more attempts were made to drive the Turks out, including artillery fire on the Trench.  These efforts had limited success and the fighting see-sawed back and forth through the night until 4.45 a.m. when the final counter attack was mounted.

“This was made by Captain Fowler, RSM Westlake and some bombers supported by Captain Walker, Captain O’Sullivan of the Inniskillings and some men of both Battalions.  The party was headed by Private Woods, who cleared the way with the bayonet, while Private Matthews kept down the enemy’s enfilading fire.  Both men did magnificently exposing themselves fearlessly and pushing steadily on.  By 5.15am thirty yards had been one back, by 5.45 a.m. seventy, half an hour later the whole trench was in British hands.  Captain Fowler had been splendid and inspired his men by his gallantry, having exhausted his own bombs he picked up Turks bombs and threw them back with great effect.” (Atkinson)

The Turks retiring in daylight were cut down in the open by machine gun fire. A final attack by the Turks was then repulsed and the exhausted SWB and Inniskillings began rebuilding the defences and caring for casualties.  Each Battalion lost around 80 dead and wounded and there were 91 dead Turks in and around Turkey Trench with many more on the open ground beyond.

Captain Fowler was recommended fo a VC and received the DSO, the two privates got the DCM. 

Is there something specific you are looking for?  The war diary adds little if anything at all to Atkinson's account of Fowler and the actions of his party.  However it does note that he had been forced to retire on a previous attempt immediately before the successful clearance of the trench described above.

Ken

Edited by kenf48

Thanks Ken for the Info, I was just looking to see if the war diary expanded a bit more on the action. I am currently reading “Duty Nobly Done” and the paragraph in the book about the action just interested me. I did get a download of the relevant section in the war diary. 

Ewan 

• Admin

You’re welcome.  The actions of the two Privates seem incredibly brave, especially in regard to the losses and unsuccessful attempt through the night. I wonder if it was still dark when they launched their attack, or was dawn breaking?  Atkinson’s description is taken from the citation for the DCM

Clearing the way with a bayonet sounds exhausting and horrific. 

Ken

Edited by kenf48

Don’t think I would want to be point man clearing the way in a cramped trench at night or day! 

A US soldier earned the Medal Of Honor in 1918 when he was point man & cleared section of trench with a pump shotgun. In a narrow trench it would have been a very effective tool for clearing the way. To do it with rifle & bayonet would be even rougher. A brave action in any case & well deserved awards.