Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

W Maddox Royal Engineers 39th Division

Sgt Stripes

Hi. A tough ask this but here goes. I am trying to find the recipient of a B E F Recreational Training medal. The details engraved on the medal are Cup finalist, 39th Division signals, R E with the name W MADDOX 1917-18. At first I thought it belong to 41510 Sgt W Maddox RE who sadly died at home 1918 but after looking at his service papers I found out that he left the army in 1916. Could anyone help to put a name and number to the medals recipient. Thank you   

Hi,

The only other Maddox, serving overseas in the RE with W as his initial, I saw was a William A Maddox (8683, 398683). I didn't see any papers for him, but wonder which unit was allocated the number block including his 398683 number?

Regards

Chris

Chris

I think you are right, I've noticed a number of REs whose numbers were prefixed 38 and 39 over their original numbers were from 38 and 39 Div.

Brian

If it is William A Maddox I think you will find he belonged to a unit of the Royal Anglesey Royal Engineers (Militia) a Special Reserve unit.

They had a number change in 1917. Instead of issuing a set of new numbers, 39 was added to the beginning of the old ones. Similarly, 38 was added to the numbers of those serving with the Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers (Militia) the other SR unit of the Corps.

You will see that number change reflected in the post by Chris above.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Many thanks for your help with this. It now looks like the medal belonged to 398683 W A Maddox. cheers lads

Sgt

Terry is correct (not that I doubted it). I checked back through my RE casualty lists and found:

396424 Sweeney H J  - Unit shown as RE R Ang 1 Siege Co.

397255 Garvey W - Unit shown as R E R A 2 Siege.

398419 Cox G H - Unit shown as 2 Siege Co.

and

388748 Harrison E - Unit shown as R Mon RE 4 Siege Co.

Please disregard my earlier post although something is ringing bells.

Brian

• 2 years later...
On 10/04/2018 at 19:45, Terry_Reeves said:

Similarly, 38 was added to the numbers of those serving with the Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers (Militia) the other SR unit of the Corps.

Very interested to have recently come across a number of RMRE men with this prefix. Was this as a result of Army Council Instruction (ACI) 2243 of 1916 which ushered in the other six digit numbers to the TF units, Terry? It seemed odd they did not get a mention on the following, but when I read the above, you reminded me that the R.A.R.E. & R.M.R.E. were Special Reserve and not TF in any case.
https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/renumbering-of-the-territorial-force-in-1917/renumbering-of-the-territorial-force-royal-engineers-in-1917/

Thanks, Keith